Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Design Challenge #5: Espionage

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Design Challenge #5: Espionage

Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to design a PC case that would be at home in any spys home. You must design a case that would make James Bond, Ethan Hunt, Sidney Bristow, Jack Bauer, Austin Powers and any other spy proud to own. There is one catch though, your design must focus around one of the following cases. Thermaltake's Element T or Thermaltake's V3 Black edition. Additionally there will be bonus points for incorporating the Lite-on 8x Slim External DVD burner into the design.<--break-->

The Situation.

A) Enemy Forces.
    Elements of the elite computer modification community TheBestCaseScenario.com are establishing plans and blueprints to ensure their victory. Location unknown, but known sects exist in small pockets through the US, and in global pockets. They are estimated at 80% strength and their morale is improving. They are equipped with rotary pneumatic gear and are capable of employing aerosol weaponry. They will defend their designs at all costs.

B) Friendly forces.
    Company G attacks at 010000 Feb. to seize Codename: Framework and Codename: Internals with SketchUp weaponry to fortify our initial attacks. Company A maintains discretion to use Photoshop and Illustrator grenades for combat purposes. CAD artillery and Blender mortar platoons will be available if required. Tactical ground crews MS Paint, BIC Pen, and HED Descrip are first order troops.

The Mission.

Entrant will design a functioning, secret agent themed PC.

Execution.

A) Concept of operation.
    As a member of the double agent network, it is your objective to design a functioning, secret agent themed PC in the interest of counterespionage against every other member of TheBestCaseScenario.com. This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill. We are no longer certain of the loyalty of any of our members, except you. We are challenging all our members to design the best secret agent PC possible in an attempt to test their allegiance to our cause. At 010000 Feb. all preparations and attacks are to commence with full force, and all units are ordered to fire at will. Coordinating instructions, achievements, and supporting units are marked in the dossier. Make sure to mark them before you commence. All objectives must be completed by 14 Mar 2009 at 23:59 hours.

B) Missions for subordinate units.
    1. Judging will be done by a chosen panel of TBCS staff.
    2. Overall aesthetic appeal 20/100
    3. Congruency with secret agent theme 20/100
    4. Unique hardware arrangement 10/100
    5. Creative implementation of sponsored cases unique features 20/100
    6. Quality of presentation 20/100
    7. Incorporation of TBCS tribute 10/100
    8. Bonus points for creative implementation of Lite-on 8x Slim Externa lDVD writer 20/0

C) Coordinating instructions:
    1. Entries will be accepted by registered TBCS members only.
    2. Entries must be submitted by March 14, 2010, at 11:59pm EST.
    3. Project may be a team effort, but achievements will be awarded only to submitting member.
    4. Members may not submit incomplete projects to staff for input during contest.
    5. Design must be a feasible, functioning PC.
    6. All components and materials must be commercially available.
    7. Design must be based around the Thermaltake Element T or the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition.

D) Service support.
    1. Entries may be produced using any medium desired (B&W/color sketch, description, 2D/3D graphic illustration, animation, photographed model, mashed potato sculpture, etc…)
    2. Members may post designs in the forums if so desired.
    3. There are no limitations to cost of building materials or resources.
    4. Challenge is open to TBCS members in the US and Canada ( members from other countries can enter only if they agree to pay for shipping of the prize if they win).
    5. Design components may include elements from anything that a secret agent would use for espionage.
    6. Multiple entries are allowed.

E) Achievements.

First Place

Second Place

Third Place

1. Thermaltake Element T
    2. Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
    3. Lite-on 8x Slim External DVD Writier

F) Command and Signal

1. Command. Thermaltake and Lite-on are providing overall command support for this mission. Refer to their product features and usage techniques to attain complete mission completion. We are honored for these command forces to assist with these objectives.
    2. Signal. Current frequencies and call signs will be in effect. All members are to be wished the best of luck and surefootedness of skills in the following endeavors.

End Transmission
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 02-01-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Default Re: Deign Challenge #5: Espionage

I should be entering in this.
    Do we have base sketch-ups of the 2 cases?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Deign Challenge #5: Espionage

We do not have sketchup models of the cases. Thats half the fun.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Design Challenge #5: Espionage

Well, I don't have any drawings of it, nor would I actually change much on this case...But here goes my entry, at least...pretty short-thought, but I like it like that..

#1..."patch" the side window on the V3

#2...Change all colored fans black

#3...Water-Cool the rig, using the two top vents for one big Rad...with 2 fans per slot, (push and pull) one inside and one outside the case (4 total there)...with a "vented" cover on the two top fans (think louvered windows)...These would bring in cool air from above

#4...Using an SLI/Crossfire MOBO, Stick the video card in the lower PCIE slot and use PCI Slot cooler fans to exhaust (one above, one below) the hot air

#5...Now here is the tricky part...for practicality, this wouldn't make sense, or would require extra/ugly modification but I shall list off my ideas
    The case side, which opens like "suicide" doors, would only be accessible via Retina scan/facial recognition....now this is the trick...if the computer fails, the it will not be operable because the side would never open, however, it could be made so that it has its own power input, which can be "piggybacked" off the 120v input to the PSU...this would also require its own built-in software and not directly reliant/responsive on/to the PC at all.

#6...I like the look of the front face, but for super-secret-spy-security, I would have a similar idea to the eye/face scanner...the front face would be covered by "storm shutters" which would be custom-fabbed out of diamond plate, and roll up into the same structure that houses the outer fans on top of the rad. The similarity to the scanner, is that this would only be opened/closed by the use of a fingerprint scanner. Once the security is passed, a servo would "roll" up the "storm shutter" into its casing, which would then allow you to access power/reset/usb stuff...This fingerprint scanner should also be wired (at the same time) to control the power on/off function. This should make sure, then, that once the shutter is closed, it's off and once it's opened, it's on.

#7...Whew...just dove right into this thing and ideas keep poppin' up!!! Since the power button would have no function anymore, I would probably have it just set to "turbo/normal" mode for all fans, which would probably require pairing up with some sort of fan controller

Would be a nightmare sourcing the retinal/facial recognition setup, but would be SOOOOO worth it. I decided to use this for the case side instead of the FP (fingerprint) scanner, because it is harder to fool, and data can easily be ripped off a HD from another pc, more than it can be hacked.

Ok, I don't think I have much else to say here, I might end up having a few pen/paper drawings to upload, but I strongly doubt it...(by the way, I live in Belize, Central America, so if I do end up winning something, I relinquish my prize to the next runner up - I just wanna be able to say that I entered, lol)
    EDIT: got an image to upload, but can't figure it out when editing my post, so I'll put it in a new one...

General overview...

Sleek, Stealthy, Tough and Secure.

I hope this suffices as an entry, and I hope to see/hear what you all have to offer out there...I LOVE THESE FORUMS!!!!!!
    Last edited by el_magnifico; 02-01-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added Image, Changed a few minor deatils
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockTheBox View Post
    I love your work.. can your computer and my computer make babies.. .. this is just awe inspiring .. I want one for my room.. just so people are like whats that? and I can say its god..

Fresh Paint

Feel free to ask me anything about the pic, for further explanation....i know, my drawing skills suck major "bonage".
    I love your work.. can your computer and my computer make babies.. .. this is just awe inspiring .. I want one for my room.. just so people are like whats that? and I can say its god..

el_magnifico, you're allowed multiple entries, so if for any reason you get the urge to modify your design, send the final writeup or sketches to contest@thebestcasescenario.com. You might as well keep your secret design a secret so no other spy's counterespionage your work!
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

well guess am in
    Quote Originally Posted by lastweek View Post
    Not only will it probably catch fire to your house, it will probably shoot peices out of your case and kill your cat. make sure you video tape your expierment.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    Write your will before you turn it on

OOhhh... tempting!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    el_magnifico, you're allowed multiple entries, so if for any reason you get the urge to modify your design, send the final writeup or sketches to contest@thebestcasescenario.com. You might as well keep your secret design a secret so no other spy's counterespionage your work!
    LOL...I think that was my final entry....I'm much more of a technical person...I solve problems...design and art was never EVER one of my strong points....thanks for letting me know where to email it...I will re-submit there. Doubt any of the plans/design for this mod would change...

I shall call it....Knight Rider

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

I have a question about this part of the requirements:

All components and materials must be commercially available.
    Components and materials... Does obtaining raw materials and, say, milling them to a custom shape (in sketchup) count as "commercially available?"