Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound Activated Drum Lights

Last Thoughts

Default Re: Sound Activated Drum Lights

I suppose. My plexi skills are non-existant though. I wouldn't know the first thing to do with plexi. Haha

Diffusing plexi couldn't be easier. Take a ring as big as the drum. Sand it down so it looks cloudy. Then, put your LED's behind that. Then they light up, the sanded plexi will diffuse the light source giving a nice glow.

Last Thoughts

Yeah I know, its obtaining a ring of plexi that would be difficult.

Go to an auto glass store. They're usually happy to let you have the stuff they're gonna throw out anyway.

Last Thoughts

Ok, I just got struck with an idea that would be a helluva lot easier. I have an electronic drum set and it has come to my attention that lately I'll probably want to use them more than my acoustics and thus want them to look better. I'm weird, get over it XD. Anyways, There is an unholy amount of tutorials out there on making electronic drum sets provided you have a drum module or "brain" so-to-speak. But that's not what I care about. What I care about is that these tutorials show you how to make a mesh headed drum pad rather than rubber. For you non-musician folk, basically just means more realistic/acoustic feeling, and usually more expensive. But this can be done with window screen and old drum shells which is pretty exciting because A) You can make/fake drum shells pretty easily and B) I have window screen in the garage laying around. So basically the only thing I would need to light up my electronics is some LEDs/CCFLs, some wiring to the already in use audio cables, and that's it. And as for the drum shells, the reason I've included this info is because first of all I want some input (if you don't mind) on some cool and unique ideas for a fake drum shell that looks awesome and is cost effective, and second, I plan on doing it should my wallet allow it. I was thinking Black Metal Mesh would look sick as hell with UV lights inside it that glow in sync with the beat on every drum. Any ideas? Oh and does anyone know of any sites with black metal mesh? I'm looking for some that aren't Hex mesh, the kind with circular cut holes. Thanks guys, I'll be looking as well. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks again.

Scratch that request for black metal mesh, www.frozencpu.com has some!
    Last edited by DuroMentis; 02-05-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Found my own answer.