Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended WHS Add ins

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Recommended WHS Add ins

ya I need one of these. so Slave....wheres part 2?

I'll probably be adding HDDs in the form of more smaller "books" if I need more space.

Also, this might not be the place to ask, but anytime I restart it (only tried remotely) I have to immediately log in locally on the computer or it just will keep restarting. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

errrr not the most helpful of answers but, it shouldn't do that (obviously) - there's an awesome forum at www.wegotserved.com which may be able to help. The guys there have forgotten more about WHS than I'll ever know!

As for part 2 SXR.... watch this space, it's 95% written - I just need to add one little part and it'll be on a website near you soon.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

i tried WHS but it seems like a has up, windows server standard 2003, with XP stuff put back in, some new WHS stuff, more server enterprise stuff, then a fancy home panel,

Personally i use Windows Vista Ultimate with VNC and a custom web front end i built to see system info and stuff,

I want to setup a proper domain but last time i tried it took any system about 15 minutes to login, too slow, i expected login to take a fraction longer than locally, but that long!

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

WHS is awesome. I use it to stream all my movies and also to do backups. I am going to migrate mine to a Danger Den Double-wide case which is being painted with a Star Wars theme including sexy female Stormtroopers. I have about 10 terabytes now but am adding another SATA card and more drives.

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    I want to setup a proper domain but last time i tried it took any system about 15 minutes to login, too slow, i expected login to take a fraction longer than locally, but that long!
    Ouch, there was something seriously wrong with your domain setup. We run all of our DC's in remote datacenters. It takes maybe 3 minutes for a machine to pull down all of its GPO's and run login scripts over a 20MB WAN connection thats set up for 80% VoIP Prioritization. Sounds like it could have been DNS issues with your setup or something of the like. AD domains are heavily reliant on DNS. We did have some issues similar to what yours. We were letting out Cisco router handle DNS. Once we switched over to letting the Domain handle DNS a ton of our issues were resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    WHS is awesome. I use it to stream all my movies and also to do backups. I am going to migrate mine to a Danger Den Double-wide case which is being painted with a Star Wars theme including sexy female Stormtroopers. I have about 10 terabytes now but am adding another SATA card and more drives.
    Now this I can't wait to see! Sounds AWESOME.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Now this I can't wait to see! Sounds AWESOME.
    I agree! And of course we'll need pictures of the awesomeness!
    TheMainMan