Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 6th GeN. 30TB TriplX

Worth doing? Worth OVERdoing grevaeg's Avatar

Default Re: [project]6th GeN. 30TB TriplX

Hi guys! Thx for all the good words, im a bound man soon now, cant rly say im complaining either..

Guess it would be time for a new update ^^

Have been sanding like crazy the past days, and are finally ready for the first layer of primer, to make sure the paint will be stuck there for awhile

The colour of choice ended up on black-ish non reflective (matte?) for the lack of a better word ^^

Guess its time for a update again...

Whats been done

* Paintjob done
    * Mounted case back up
    * Mounted frontplates
    * Mounted Laing pumps
    * Tightened fittings for hoses
    * Mounted wtfpwn wheels on the lower module

The paint job

A entire chapter should be dedicated to this one, cus honest, its been a ****load of work to get the finnish decent enough to be happy with it Been sanding for hours, placed up primer, and hung stuff up and sprayed it with a spray gun... After a 30 hours drytime it was finally ok to pick it back down and start getting this case up running again....

Hi guys!

Its light in the end of the tunnel! Finally! Mounted up alot of stuff now, and its clearly turning out to be possible to get this PC up and running quite soon =)

The Storageish

Got pretty exactly 36 sata and 4 ide drives thats all going into this build, leaving another 8 slots for new disks in the future ^^ stuff tends to be filled up at a alarming rate... with, uhm... family photo's ofc ^^

First row in place ^^

Anyone stated that stuff cant be clean with 40 drives? 0.o

Aaaand.... the first batch of 24 disks up

Power em up?

Watercooling

Hah! Stuff looks so messy right now,but hey... its only gonna move water around... might change some loops tomorrow

Current status pic

Default Cable management, day 6

Hi guys!

Time for the long awaited update =)

Whats been done
    * More cable management
    * Some hose management
    * Made a new holder to keep sata cables out of sight on the bottom module
    * Soldered power cables for the pumps and light's
    * Test booted all 3 PC's

Well... as mentioned before, have been putting quite alot of time into cable management, its now officially day 6 of the management... and a decent 30 hours has allready gone into it 0.o

God i hate this amount of cables... but hey... hopefully its gonna look decent when its done

Also tried to hook up the screen earlier, works flawlessly =)

Rightside design done.... this is the entire case side ^^

Should be done with the rightside one aswell later today

Finale?

nah... afraid not... but hey... getting truly close to finishing this project =)

Windows 7 installed on all 3 comp's, running flawlessly, the temp seems to keep stable at 34c full load on the phenom 955 + 4870x2 loop

Its not making any noise at all practically speaking, ill get a DB measure up within the next days

The final weight for those who's wondering is 63KG

The dragon is done, but still need the sponsor marks up there, and the watercooling has been filled up, should be able to get some benches soon aswell

So... what might be left?

* Screen cover on the backside
    * mobo consealer on the rightside
    * cathodes and LED's
    * power button's
    * HDD rack hider for the holders thats left empty for now
    * get sponsor decals

Thx for tagging along on this build guys and ladies, truly appreciated with all the support thats been given =)

Hi guys! As some of you might know is the yearly "The Gathering" LAN party in vikingskipet Norway coming up soon.... hopefully will it be around 6000 contestants around in a large hall ^^

and when that is done, will it be time for me to move on....new ideas allways emerge when you give it enough time, and the modding mind is starting to have some cravings again.. i believe this would be some kind of mentally illness, but a strive for perfection still persist

Would therefore be happy to announce that the 6th GeN project is going for sale quite soon, to make headroom for well... 7th gen, lol

The project have had a build cost of a staggering 14,000 USD not counting in the time and effort to build it all

If anyone would have some interest , please dont hesitate to send me a PM =)

Best regards,

Christer Grevaeg

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    i like it

whens the next gen coming out? lol
    Planning just started ^^

Guess ill give u guys a little heads up 0.o, The previous build got kinda large, and honest... its a pain in the ass to move around, lol

so i guess its time to size it down a notch, not much though... the 6th gen will be sold as a whole... including hardware, screens and cooling, will hopefully get a decent price for it so i can fund the upcoming build ^^

Going to get rid of the 500gb drives, and go up to 16x 2tb ones instead, assume that it will be one gaming rig + fileserver this time around, kinda considering getting a new phenom rig with a 5890 or two for now

There is no way in hell im going back to aircooling either... its just inferior ^^

Got a small design challenge now though... kinda hard to top the previous build... and the level of casemods around in this place and on bit-tech seems to be increasing, people are putting casemods to another league -.- so guess ill have to step it up aswell, theres allways room for improvement 0.o

Anyone got some wild ideas they would like to see implemented in the next gen?

I have emailed grevaeg regarding his worklog images, his home page is gone too. Hope he's not dead.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri