Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy... oh and I work in a fab shop :)

Anodized

Default New guy... oh and I work in a fab shop :)

Whats up everyone I've always liked modding but recently all my time has been tied up in photography. I use to mod Xboxs and I've always wanted to do a computer case. I just bought the parts to build my first computer so I figured this might be the perfect time to mod my first case!

I have absolutely no idea where to begin but I work in a fab shop on the press and I have access to a Mazak laser cutter, wire EDM machine, a few CNC machines, lathe, drills, etc. and I'm in good with the welder haha.

So I have the tools and materials, I have some free time, now all I need is the inspiration and a bit of know how. So if anyone has any good general advice for me or maybe some links to any useful info I'd really appreciate it. As soon as I find out what I want to do with the case, which is a stock Compaq Presario, I'll start a worklog.

Default Re: New guy... oh and I work in a fab shop :)

Hey Jake (I'm guessing that's your name),

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you got a lot of useful tools on your hands, working at a fab shop. When your looking for inspiration, just look at the many great work logs there are in the forums here, that's how I usually get inspired to do my mods.

Modding computer cases is a lot like modding Xboxs, at least from my prospective. You got your heat sinks, windows, and electronics modding. It really isn't that different, it's just on a larger scale.

I hope to see your first worklog soon!!
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Welcome! I'll be interested to see what you end up doing, with all that kit at your disposal. I would kill for a shop like that.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Anodized

Thanks guys, and I forgot to mention the sand blaster and lapping station . As for the case I'm liking the idea of using some mesh... or rather alot of mesh and I'm gonna try for a minimal style.

Welcome to the forums! I'm really jealous of the tools you have to use. When looking for inspiration I try to thing of something either trendy (like an upcoming movie/game) or something timeless and classic (like a timeless movie (ET, Jurassic Park, Alien)) or a favorite series of games (zelda, halflife, mario) or a favorite sports team or car.

It will be best when you find something you are passionate about.

If you would rather not go with a theme, then choose a style and try to stick to it. Something like steampunk, or art deco, or industrial, or skulls. The theme doesn't even need to be named per se, but should have an aesthetic that is definable enough that if something isn't following that style it looks out of place.

Good luck I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Anodized

Wow I just stumbled upon million-dollar-pc.com and I do believe I has been inspired

make some custom water blocks
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Anodized

I wish but the thickest copper bar we have is only .5" , were can you buy copper blocks anyway?

Well its a very slow work day today and it's Saturday overtime so the boss is no where to be found which means I have some time to do a little prep work to the case. Nothing major just triming some parts and maybe a little sandblasting.

I'm thinking about fabricating my own front/back panels so does anyone know of any build threads where someone has done that so I can get an idea of how its usually done. Thanks again!

half an inch is all you would want, make the bottom from 1 plate then a top from another with a o ring in between. you would need to cut a channel for it as well.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Anodized

hmm, are there certain things that need to be done for them to work right? I'm pretty sure we can bore the copper out into any kind of shape so this might be something to look into. Lets say I do make all my own water blocks, about how much would I have to spend on everything else? And another thing is my computer is far from a "top of the line" gaming machine so would water cooling be overkill?