ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Something different...

wow...
    Optimist - The glass is half full
    Pessimist - The glass is half empty
    Engineer - The glass is twice as big
    Me - There is water in a glass, deal with it

Hmm...not bad! Can i be honest with you though? The old, OLD case looks cool. I don't know if this case is old enough to look good yet-it might look a bit better with a lick of black paint or something?

Unless you were to 'retro up' the case somehow, make it look a little older...

Just my opinion, if you like it the way it is, then keep it. At first i liked the idea, but seeing it come together with the alien vent and so forth...not so sure that it's going to turn out looking the way i imagined it.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Unless you were to 'retro up' the case somehow, make it look a little older...
    Well, I think I better stop now, since this needs to be put into service as a server pretty soon. With that printer on top. The main reason for using that case was space. The printer is pretty big, and a tower next to it takes up too much space. This way, the computer doesn't take any space as it's the same size as the printer and sits neatly below it.

The alien (or is it spiderman?) vent was just to hide my rough edge. this thing is functional rather than artistic. Although I just had a thought, if that is an alien, this Athlon CPU is definately alien to the case...

That bluetooth adaptor turned out a bit of a mess. The LED was held ok with epoxy, but that thin wire was just soooo delicate that I ended up encasing both the leads in more epoxy contained in a rubber sleeve (taken from an old ball point pen). It's strong enough now, and bright as hell, but I'm glad it's hidden from view.

As for the 386, well there's no pressing need for that so I can take my time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by legoman786
    wow...

Wow, to the whole thing? Or one specific bit?

ATX Mental Case

the whole thing man, the whole thing
    Optimist - The glass is half full
    Pessimist - The glass is half empty
    Engineer - The glass is twice as big
    Me - There is water in a glass, deal with it

It turned out surprisingly tidy inside, don't you think? Helped by the fact that all the mobo connectors are hidden under the drives. In this pic you can see the extra fans, in on the left, out on the right. One hard disk above the floppy, one below it. Cooled by the intake fan.
    You can also see the delicate bluetooth LED before I epoxied it.

And, in case you're wondering, yes. The motherboard is touching the back of the CD mounting cage.

Default The final touch

Something occurred to me. The previous motherboard which was in this case died under mysterious circumstances. I've no idea why it failed, but when I opened the case up the board was contaminated with some unknown substance. There's a chance it might be sh*t from some beasties which managed to get inside. I'm not sure if that's what caused the boards to fail, but I'm not taking any chances with this one.

Ain't no critters crapping in this computer.

Resident Alcoholic

that stuff looks weird! Dude I REALY would like to see this painted black, it would fit SO well with the blue lights and the chrome grill and the mesh!
    Not too sure about the whole printer thing though, but we'll see how it turns out
    Good stuff though!
    Peace
    H

that stuff looks weird!
    Yep. It's more than just dust. Dust tends to be light brown and collects around the cpu. This has moisture in it.
    Dude I REALY would like to see this painted black
    Well, as I've said before, it has to be functional rather than beautiful. Function before form. Those grills for example, the biohazard ones looked nicer, but weren't fingerproof. It's not really going to be seen once it's installed anyway, only the front panel. Black would be nice, but I'll save that for the 386 project.