Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A different new guy, building his first PC. (could use advice!)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: A different new guy, building his first PC. (could use advice!)

/\ This. Though, the trend recently has been to either support both or neither. Since it's entirely a firmware issue now (iirc) to support SLI and CrossFire, as long as their board can do 2x8 or 2x16, manufacturers will generally support both now. As for the MBB, it's a god solid board; I wouldn't say it's overkill.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Loving boobies since 1990

okie doke. i will prob. go with that one then. i've never heard of this brand before so i figured i try and go with the underdog. i like the look of it better too. all the other boards under that brand got some great reviews as well. living life on the edge!
    Nicholas Schaible - SchaibleTechSolutions - ApolloCustoms
    http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1266350921
    "Can i lie with you in your grave?"

SchaibleTech@gmail.com

Yeah, Biostar isn't a big name but they make pretty good stuff. Kind of like Foxconn, they're a manufacturer that sells a lot of stuff to other companies but also sells stuff to consumers, so they're able to offer good stuff cheaper.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

word up.

i picked myself some PSU sleeving kits, thumb screws, fan controller, and im in the process of finding a Cooler Master Musketeer 2, bud damn they are hard to find. and there is only 1 on ebay.

should be ordering the parts this thursday! i can wait. should have a work log up soon

edit: im going into Graphic design, and i pretty much use every program in Adobe Master Sweet. isnt the i7 supposed to be more built for these kind of programs?

SchaibleTech@gmail.com

one question...

so the core i7-920 is on sale at micro center for 200.

should i just go for the i7 because its the same price? or am i going to have to upgrade all the other parts i have picked out?

i know that im going to have to get another motherboard, and i picked out a gigabyte one. its like $209, but im saving almost 90 dollars on the CPU if i go with the i7 at mirco center.

here is the board i picked out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128423

trying not to go too cheap, but still spend an average amount.
    to save some money i just downgraded my HDD, because that samsung f3 was supposed to be in stock yesterday, and now they delayed it another week, and i need to order my parts my tomorrow, im not waiting for the HDD. i've been without a computer for too long.

what do you think? i've been reading that its better to stick with the i5 for right now, but i dont really understand why.

SchaibleTech@gmail.com

I would definitely go with the 920 instead. The biggest difference is not between i5/i7 chips, but between the s1156 and s1366 chips. The s1156 chips only support dual-channel communication with DDR3, but s1366 chips support triple-channel. This will give you a sizable performance boost if you get triple-channel capable RAM (should be all DDR3, but get a 3-stick set to be sure). Because of that, you want to get RAM in multiples of 3 instead of multiples of 2 (which you wanted in dual-channel).

The i7-920 is actually supposed to be almost $300, I think, but when Intel jacked the price on it, Micro Center basically told them to go take a hike. I think they just bought a lot of the chips before the price jump, so now they have it for almost $100 less than anyone else.

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention; yes, that's a good MBB you have picked out for s1366.
    --Benjamin Franklin

awesome. thanks a lot man, you have been a great help.

SchaibleTech@gmail.com