Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nes Pc!

Fresh Paint

Default Nes Pc!

Hey guys!

A couple of days go i read that somebody made a pc out of a nes! ever since then i've been reading up on people's own projects, how to's and etc! but i've reached the point where i can't do anymore research (ran out of sites ) and have some questions!

there was a person who made one in this site, so i thought if i posted on the same forum the people there'll be a great help!

Here's what i know so far,

People have used mini-itx and intel atoms
    Cooling has been an issue
    And space has been an issue (although most people used laptop parts or made an external housing to make up for it)

if you think i'll have anymore problems could you please let me know? maybe i can find out about it before i encounter it and get completely stumped.

Some specifics i want in my NES PC
    i wanted...
    the shell be touched as LITTLE as possible (most people just take out a chunk of the back, some chop off the t in the bottom, etc etc.)
    to have the dvd drive stick out where the cartridge goes in
    to make the reset button the button that makes the dvd slot come out (heard it was nearly impossible but i'd atleast like to ask)
    the controller ports be somehow used as a usb port (heard you can rewire them then use a controller plug rewired with a usb end instead of a controller?)

that's it for now... i think. your thoughts, inputs and overall general feelings would be great!

thanks!

Anodized

Default Re: Nes Pc!

I wish this was real but Im sure the folks here could tell you how to make it real..

But If you don't wanna go thru that trouble. The mod to do with this would be this.
    http://www.zieak.com/2005/08/08/nintendo-mouse/

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

If you do a forum search with myself as the poster and NES PC as the words to search for (select title only), you'll see a list of most of the NES PCs on these forums. The one that immediately comes to mind is the one that d_stilgar recently completed. His was the best I've seen completed to date. Here's the link: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=2937

I'm still in the process of building mine.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Dysturbed View Post
    I wish this was real but Im sure the folks here could tell you how to make it real..

But If you don't wanna go thru that trouble. The mod to do with this would be this.
    http://www.zieak.com/2005/08/08/nintendo-mouse/
    haha that would be pretty cool, i myself was just thinking of using the dpad to control the mouse o.o

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    If you do a forum search with myself as the poster and NES PC as the words to search for (select title only), you'll see a list of most of the NES PCs on these forums. The one that immediately comes to mind is the one that d_stilgar recently completed. His was the best I've seen completed to date. Here's the link: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=2937

I'm still in the process of building mine.
    thanks nevermind! you seem very familiar actually... but i was actually looking at that! i have it tabbed in my references window but it's hard to follow as it seems kinda scattered but i DO love the keyboard and the mouse, those are huge win's in my department.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

First of welcome to the forums, as you can see there are a ton of people here who are willing to help with almost anything. I think I can at least answer you question on using the reset button for the CD drive. You can rewire the button to work and I know I have a wiring diagram somewhere for it, but keeping that control board inside you lose about a 1" by 2" area in space which as you know is very tight inside the NES shell. Remove the bottom plate from the drive and find the solder points up by the button and hook right into those. With my build I have the power for power and the reset for the disk drive. The power button is a tad trickier but is fairly quick to work out.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Yeah it's a bit scattered since it was built over several years of found time. If you have any specific questions about that build and how to do things then just ask me. Maybe I'll even make a quick tutorial for each of the things you ask.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Bopher View Post
    First of welcome to the forums, as you can see there are a ton of people here who are willing to help with almost anything. I think I can at least answer you question on using the reset button for the CD drive. You can rewire the button to work and I know I have a wiring diagram somewhere for it, but keeping that control board inside you lose about a 1" by 2" area in space which as you know is very tight inside the NES shell. Remove the bottom plate from the drive and find the solder points up by the button and hook right into those. With my build I have the power for power and the reset for the disk drive. The power button is a tad trickier but is fairly quick to work out.
    thanks bopher! hmm! so it IS possible! i have to wait until i actually do get a nes, tried ebay hunting but they're all rather expensive, even the local adds are asking for 50-70 cad. once i get the shell it should be easier to measure and kinda guess how everything's gonna fit right?

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Yeah it's a bit scattered since it was built over several years of found time. If you have any specific questions about that build and how to do things then just ask me. Maybe I'll even make a quick tutorial for each of the things you ask.
    that would be AWESOME! i'll ask once the questions come up

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gggelo View Post
    thanks bopher! hmm! so it IS possible! i have to wait until i actually do get a nes, tried ebay hunting but they're all rather expensive, even the local adds are asking for 50-70 cad. once i get the shell it should be easier to measure and kinda guess how everything's gonna fit right?
    Yeah I know how that goes. My build has 3 in a tower configuration. So that was no fun to find 3. Sometimes you get lucky with flea markets. Myself being a gamer I couldn't bring myself to use a perfectly good unit so I was trying to find ones that didn't work or were unconfirmed. I never even plugged on in to see if they were alive because then I wouldn't of been able to bring myself to rip it down. I could be wrong but I think there was someone on here selling off old gaming systems, I'll do a search when I get home and see if I can find it.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."