Thread: What kind of mini motor could I use?

Question What kind of mini motor could I use?

Hi,

For part of a case mod, I need to make something turn semi-slowly. Something between 30 and 60 times a minute would be great I think, but I haven't any experience with motors.

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of small motor I could use to do the job? Ideally something I can power from one of the 12v lines or USB from inside the PC, and as near silent as I can get.

I wonder about taking apart a clock? But any ideas at all would be fantastic! Thanks very much

Default Re: What kind of mini motor could I use?

pretty much any electric 12v motor will do what you want as long as you hook it up to a potentiometer so you can adjust the speed. I would just gut an old case fan. I am sure the electrical gurus on board can give you more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Servo and Parallax Controller (USB). I think you can get them from Servo City

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I think the simplest and cheapest way would be like billygoat said; a simple DC motor. You can adjust the speed either by undervolting it or through a high ratio gear exchange.

A continuous rotation servo would work, but a DC motor would be a lot cheaper if you just want it to continuously rotate at a set speed.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Thanks everyone That gave me just what I needed to Google.

I found this, which seems like what I'd want. It's about 38rpm but that'd still be totally fine. It runs on 5v, which is perfect to take power from a 5v rail off the power supply unit.

http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1208.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sounds good. If 38rpm is still too fast, you should be able to reduce it further with another gear set or just by throwing a resistor between the power line and the motor.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV