Thread: Regulating pump speed - good, bad or just not important?

Anodized

Default Regulating pump speed - good, bad or just not important?

Alright, fellas - I got a question for the hardcore water cooling guys out there.

I've been doing quite a lot of reading (for instance, see this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=234698) about regulating pump speed. Usually, the main argument is that the pump would stop producing so much noise when there's no need for a high flow. Which, I guess, is a valid argument.

But then a friend of mine told me that when testing an old D5 (not the vario - the older one) he actually experienced that running that pump at a high speed, the resistance in the water loop would heat up the water - not just by a few degrees, but quite radically.

So, I was wondering if there isn't a certain balance - a certain flowrate - where the speed vs. cooling ratio is the most efficient.

Any of you guys done any research into that field?
    Best regards, Nutman

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks

Default Re: Regulating pump speed - good, bad or just not important?

min flow rate you want is 1GPM, ideallly 1.5GPM and anything above 2 GPM is pointless for most blocks, some restrictive ones, like the cpu 350 from koolance, like more flow.

i wouldn't bother worrying about changing the speed of the pump personally, but thats up to you.

and + rep for the link as i just learned i could put a tach wire on my 655 vario!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Default Re: Regulating pump speed - good, bad or just not important?

Sure, I've got switch mods on my DDC3.x pumps, so they can go from being 9w to 18w at the flick of a switch. Thought about putting pots on them. That's just being silly.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08