Thread: Frosting a window

Fresh Paint

Default Frosting a window

Evening everyone. I'm building a machine for my daughter and since it will no doubt have lighting, my wife had the idea of etching her name on the window. Something like this is what we're going for with the frosted area highlighting with the case lights on.

Now I have no confidence in etching it myself and, hell I don't even own a dremmel. After searching, I found this used by another member.

Will this pretty much get that result?

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Frosting a window

I've heard good and bad things about these products. They are a quick and easy way to get that frosted look but the downside is, the more of the product you use, the more intense the frosting gets. You'll have to be careful to maintain as even a coat as possible over the whole area to make it look uniform.

As an alternative, another popular way of frosting perspex/plexi etc (they're basically all brand names for acrylic) is to wet sand the surface with very fine wet'n'dry sandpaper - I think about 600-800 grit is the most popular. You have to work in small circular motions, not big strokes, to avoid lines in the etching but it's fairly easy to do and you can always go finer with the sandpaper if you want a more clouded look - you can keep going and going until it's nice and even.

Getting the name clearly etched will be a bit more of a challenge - laser etching (which costs as it usually has to be done professionally) will get you the very best result.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Anodized

If you were planning on taping it off and cutting out the areas to be etched then doing the small lettering will be a big pain in the arse. If you do get it taped off you could try to find someone to sandblast it.

Fresh Paint

Yeah I'm going to have to try sanding it or something. I looked for the spray paint this weekend with no luck. I'm not looking to cut anything out, but trace/template the name on and sand/spray or whatever it takes to make the name stand out from the rest of the window.

Anodized

Yeah sandblasted is the way to go. We have done this at work with real glass and there is no spray that looks as good as really blasting it.

On the other hand you can also have it laser engraved. A lot of the trophy places anymore have laser engravers and they are pretty cheap to get stuff done usually.