Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSU dismantling - what do I need to be aware of?

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Re: PSU dismantling - what do I need to be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    I call dibs on the sandcrawler...

Space prohibiting, the psu naked in the assembly bay could provide a nice backdrop to the droids scattered about. It would still look great even behind a thin plastic sheet.
    LOL sure ya do

that's a great idea re: psu location, I'll have to see if I can incorporate that somehow. The major limiting factor with ideas like that is the top of the model needs to be completely removeable, and in order to have a minimum number of plugs to unhook before removing the top (currently 2 plugs: fans and lights), all the computer equipement has to be on the base. If I just stuck the PSU (sans outer case) into the main loading bay, I wouldn't be able to physically reach in and hook up the plugs. hmm...I'll have to think on this one...you're givin' me some good ideas! +rep for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

ok....got it mostly dismantled...but...how do I get the plug and main switch detached from the metal case? Am I right in thinking that I need to desolder them from their wires and pull them out from the outside, or is there some trick I'm missing that would allow me to detach the plastic collars from the outsides of each and pull the remaining parts through to the inside of the PSU?

and double ARG! It seems that some of the wires really are hardwired, which means without snipping cables, I can't remove the extra 8-pin PCI-E cord (my GTX 285 uses two modular 6-pin cords). although I suppose I could try desoldering them...maybe I'll do that. I don't want to permanently damage it, I doubt I'll ever need that cord, but I always think what if....

It's only still in the case because of the plug and main switch; all the screws holding it in are removed...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Follow the leads from the plug and switch to where they meet the circuit board. It's likely that there's a plug there that you can pull out, and get everything out of the case without having to desolder anything. The switch will be a pain to get out of the hole though. On the topic of desoldering, if you don't plan to use the 8-pin PCIe connection, but want to have it semi-available just in case, I would recommend cutting the wire off about 2-3" away from the PCB; that way you still have a workable length to solder it back on if you decided you want to later, but you get it out of the way.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I followed the leads to a couple of plugs on the PCB. I tugged with no result, and I can't tell if they're soldered in or not. I think I'll try gently tugging with a pair of plyers, and if that doesn't work, then I'll consider cable snipping. I think I want to extend their length anyway so I can orient them wherever is most convenient, as opposed to being forced to keep them in their current orientation. I probably will just snip the PCI-E cable. There's other cables soldered in the same place, so I don't want to risk screwing up their connections, and I have no problem re-soldering it back on if I ever do need it.
    Thanks!!

Oh...here's another question. would it be a bad idea to mount the fan above the PSU blowing air away from it? on the face of it, it would seem like a bad thing, but when I put my hand over the intake side of my 120mm case fan, it feels noticeably cooler...but I don't know that the PSU fan would suck enough air through the heatsinks to be effective.

Check the plugs for clips that might be holding them in place, kinda like the clips on floppy-power-connectors.

For the fan, it doesn't matter so much which direction it's going, as long as you have good airflow going over the heatsinks.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

My warranty is SO void now LOL...but actually it was probably expired anyway.
    I got it dismantled. I ended up snipping a short length of wire (my solder gun wouldn't melt whatever solder they used) that attached the power switch to the main power plug so I could pull the switch and plug out of the case, but you were right, the other wires were just clipped onto the PCB. It took some work to get them off, but I prevailed.
    Now I gotta solder longer wires to the switch and power plug so I can locate them wherever I need to, and I need to do some internal redesign in my case to accomodate the changes.... fun!

Yet another question - I know that it's possible to paint circuit boards, although I don't know the particulars. I think they need to be coated with something before painting? Is it possible to do this with the power supply PCB's and all the various capacitors and coils on it, or does the (I'm assuming) high current level make that a bad idea? And do I assume correctly that I should at least avoid painting the heatsinks on the PCB? Thanks!

Yes, you should not paint the heatsinks...unless you can find a metalic paint with a high conductivity rating, that might be ok. As for everything else, as long as the paint is not conductive, and is rated ok for high temps, it should be fine.
    --Benjamin Franklin