Thread: stupid HDD passwords.. :P

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default stupid HDD passwords.. :P

Ok, for background, I recently replaced the HDD in my Thinkpad with an SSD. I had previously had it set up with a password to unlock the HDD, but it required a user-level password to actually use it, and a manager-level password to change anything. Of course, since the user-level was the only one I ever used, I have completely forgotten what the manager-level password was...and that's the one that I need to remove it.

So, my question. I don't need any data off the drive, I just want to blow the whole thing away and start from scratch. Unfortunately, because of the password lock, I cannot actually access it. It does, however, appear as a device in Linux, though I cannot do anything to it because of the lock. I feel like I should be able to blow it away since Linux has direct device-level control, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how.

Any ideas?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: stupid HDD passwords.. :P

theres always degaussing...

check out xboxscene.com I believe it is. there is a wealth of info over there on how to unlock hdds. in fact there is a company that you pay like ~20 bucks for and they will unlock it for you.

EDIT: here is the company that does the hdd unlock service. they have a list of the drives they support here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I wonder if DBAN would help..?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hmm, actually it might; I'll have to try that.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

iirc think pads put the security on the laptop bios too, if the HDD has changed it requires the manager password to let you do anything to the new hdd.

On a side note, i have some top notch HDD security, it creates a 5mb partition at the beginning of the drive, it then installs a boot loader, the rest of the drive is then encrypted, the system bios (no matter what system you put it into) will only see it as a 5mb drive, the boot loader asks for a password, if correct then loads its own bios and loads the rest of the drive,

even dban can't see it as the bios thinks its just a 5mb drive.

it only works on certain drives though as it installs the password manager and encryption key onto the firmware

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!