Thread: To those who have access with CNC lathes

Default To those who have access with CNC lathes

I'm planning to make a water cooling setup with copper pipe instead of plastic tubing. In order to do so I have to have a male BSPP to a male SAE 45º fitting. Unfortunately, no-one makes this sort of fitting. This means I will have to get it machined. So I ask you, CNC experts, how hard would it be to machine a fitting like this?

The specifications for this item are.
    The top is a standard male SAE 45º (3/4-16 UNF die) fitting for flared fittings.
    The bottom is a male BSPP G1/4 (1/4-19 ISO 228/1 die) fitting that is the standard for watercooling components.
    There must have 3 full threads on the BSPP G1/4 thread.
    The recessed area above the BSPP G1/4 threads is for a 7/16 ID, 5/8 OD O-ring or Quad Ring, and prevents it from slipping.

Edit: Fixed a grammar error.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: To those who have access with CNC lathes

For a prototype project like this I would not wast your money on a CNC version. I would go with a 3D printing.

What is the inside bore?
    What is the material?
    If you need a price on it let me know.

Diameter of the bore is 10mm.
    The material could be any metal with a anodic index similar to copper. (low brasses and bronzes, nickel)
    A quote would be a great. It would let me know what to expect if I decide to get it fabricated.

What is this going to and from. McMasterCarr has hundreds of fittings, under the copper there is most likely an sae 45 fitting that if needed could be died to fit a g1/4 fitting, essentially a copper reducer, threaded externally to g1/4.
    Here is a simple starting point.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-tube-fittings/=615y4x

I've look through McMaster's Catalog. Problem is, the only BSPP to flared fitting they carry is BSPP to 37º JIC, not to the 45º SAE fittings. Additionally, their 37º JIC to BSPP fitting does not have a recessed o-ring, which I would prefer.
    Last edited by Dueling Chainsaws; 03-01-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Bummer, my suggestion was more along the lines of finding the correct outer diameter of the fittings and using a die to thread the ends as needed. A cnc job will probably be quite expensive. I've even seen somewhere where a person removed the threading from one end of a thicker adapter and tapped the now smooth surface. I personally have no experience using a die on copper, but i don't see many complications .

Looking over the specs I realize that with a 10mm bore the wall thickness of the fitting at the weakest point would be .29448mm. According to this chart many BSPP G1/4 fittings have the same bore diameter.
    What kind tolerance to pressure would this fitting have?
    How much better would it be to use a 9.9mm or 25/64" bit?

Fresh Paint

I will work up a quote in the am

Fresh Paint

73 out of plastic, stainless would be more

Old thread I see ...

I am a CNC machinist, my suggestion to the OP:

If you only require a single or small run (say, <10) for this part then CNC machining will not be an economical choice unless you happen to be able to get an "inside" deal.

If your mechanical and dimensional specifications are critical then you can still have the part machined (manually) at much lower cost.

If specifications are not critical then manually modifying similar parts with standard hand tools might suffice.

You might find changing your intended application to adapt to existing part specification is a smarter choice. If your part is designed to interface with a commercial product, then compatible fittings (which you can modify) should be available from the same vendor.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.