Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wont boot up

Default Re: Wont boot up

makes me think twice about updating the ram on my old crappy lappy
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man. "
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

Yet more problems! PC is running fine but while it wasn't working we got a new isp. Connected my Netbook, my mothers netbook and my 360 with ease, but the pc wont connect and either has the red X over the connection icon or is always acquiring network address.

I'm using a belkin 802.11g wireless adapter btw.

Quote Originally Posted by fractalzero View Post
    Yet more problems! PC is running fine but while it wasn't working we got a new isp. Connected my Netbook, my mothers netbook and my 360 with ease, but the pc wont connect and either has the red X over the connection icon or is always acquiring network address.

I'm using a belkin 802.11g wireless adapter btw.
    Does it connect by ethernet? If it does, you can concentrate just on the wireless card. I'd start first by uninstalling it completely from the device manager. Then reinstall it with the latest "downloaded" driver. Anything that came with it on a disk is pretty much worthless except if it needs proprietary software to work. Even still, that is probably outdated as well. Is the adapter a card or USB device? Either way, try moving it to a different slot/connector.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Nope, everything in our house runs wireless. The adapter is a card.

Also, an ipconfig shows dnssuffix default gateway as blank and my ip and subnet mask as 0.0.0.0 on my desktop whereas my netbook;

dns: 520b.com
    ip:192.168.1.4
    subnet:255.255.255.0
    gateway:192.168.1.1

Don't know if this will help.

Surprisingly I actually have two of the sticks that fitted now running and now have 1gb ram

Quote Originally Posted by fractalzero View Post
    Also, an ipconfig shows dnssuffix default gateway as blank and my ip and subnet mask as 0.0.0.0 on my desktop whereas my netbook;

dns: 520b.com
    ip:192.168.1.4
    subnet:255.255.255.0
    gateway:192.168.1.1

Don't know if this will help.

Surprisingly I actually have two of the sticks that fitted now running and now have 1gb ram
    Assuming your wireless router is setup for DHCP, it should be auto assigning that info. The problem is the card and router are not talking to each other. It could be a bad driver, bad card, or bad pci slot. (ordered from most likely to least)
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

An hour of copying settings to TCIP and the like I somehow managed to get it back up and working! Thanks for all the help!