Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba L355d-S7815 power

Fresh Paint

Default Toshiba laptop help L355d-S7815 power

When i press the power button the only thing that turns on is the cpu fan, no video or post. I thought it was the dc jack, but the charge light turns on when I plug it in. There are many repair parts to pick from, my best guess is the power button board(43.00), or the motherboard(230.00), I'm leaning towards the power board. Any thoughts before I order and try expensive parts. I've tried everything in a previous post, battery solved the problem once for about 3 weeks. Now it's doing it again, won't do anything...

Thanks for any guidance
    Last edited by ScottS; 03-11-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Adding information

Default Re: Toshiba L355d-S7815 power

so you pulled the battery and tried just running it from ac? does the battery still work? did you try buying a new battery? sorry usually this issue comes from a bad battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Fresh Paint

The battery was working correctly for the last 3 weeks. I tried running off of ac without the battery, nothing. The last time this happened, I was able to start the laptop without the battery and it plugged in. Even if the battery was bad, it still should start without it if plugged in
    Last edited by ScottS; 03-11-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: add

I'd pull and reseat EVERYTHING you can. Ram, all attached hardware (optical drive, hard drive, wifi card, modem, etc), cpu if possible.

Then try and power it up with nothing attached to the system (including ram). If you still get the same result, it's the motherboard. If you get an error beep for the missing ram, then add the ram, and attempt to power it up again. If it works, it's one of the other devices. If not, it's the ram.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Fresh Paint

What is the power button panel. Does that part go bad OR the motherboard first? I will try what you suggested. If it still does not work ater I try what you suggested, should I order the power panel with the motherboard. I have not taken it apart to know what it is. Thanks for any help.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Have you tried hooking up an external monitor? It sounds like something's wrong with either the LCD, MBB, or RAM. Testing with an external monitor will let you know if it's just the LCD. Also, since something happens when you press the power button, I would doubt that it's the button panel. The only time I've ever seen those die is from actual physical damage. Basically it's just a PCB with some buttons on it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Will try when I get home and post the results, thanks guys...

Fresh Paint

Tried reseating everything-nothing with or without battery/ac. Tried starting with external vga- nada. I pulled ram,dvd,hd and started-zip, not even a bios screen. No ram,dvd, or hd and external monitor - zilch. Mainboard fellas? I should have at least got a beep for no ram, or a bios screen or something. Thanks.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Try it with just a single stick of RAM, see what it does then. Depending on the laptop model, it may or may not beep about not having RAM, especially if the laptop was set to mute last time it was running.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

You may also be able to disconnect the CMOS battery, effectively resetting the BIOS. It depends on the model though.

At any rate, this isnt sounding good. I'm suspecting the motherboard for sure.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro