Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally have a dedicated workbench!

Default Finally have a dedicated workbench!

Hey everyone, as most of you know, I've taken the last year to concentrate on finishing my basement. After almost 6 years, its basically done. All that is left is carpet. During this time, I never really had a permanent work bench. I simply used an old table in the middle of the room with a chair and tool table.

I had an image of my old workspace, but I can't find it right now. If I find it later, I'll add it here.

Now that space is finished, I need a dedicated work bench somewhere.

I chose to use some space in our basement storage room rather than my garage. It gets pretty cold here in the winters and to be honest, there really isn't enough room. I have a small workbench in my garage already where the larger power tools that dont' get used all the time will be located. Tools such as the scroll saw, Disk sander, Grinder, etc.

Here is a shot of the storage space I cleaned out.

this is a shot of the utility tub I installed a few years ago. It will be nice to have this close to my work area.

I went to my local hardware store and picked up some industrial steel storage rack system called Gorilla storage racks. Should be strong enough!

I started the assembly of the base. The base is 6' long and 30" deep and 36" tall.

I also picked up some 17" deep rack ends.

I drilled some holes and bolted the 17 ends to the tops of the 30" ends. These will be for the back of the bench.

here is one assembled.

and the entire steel assembly.

I took some measurements and headed back to my local hardware store to have them cut the top, back and shelf for me. I used 3/4" white Melamine for the bench top and shelf. and White pegboard for the back and side.

Here is the side. I only had enough material left over to cut one side though. I wasn't going to buy another full 4x8 sheet for the other side, so it will ahve to do for now.

Every work bench should have good light. So I installed a 4' fluorescent tube light on the bottom of the top shelf.

Well, thats basically it. the frame work is done.

Ok, time to start adding stuff. Like a power strip. You can never have enough outlets, so I found this 12 outlet strip.

Nicely installed along the back. with the light cord tucked away through a hole in the back.

For my birthday, my parents bought this stool for me!

Yesterday I got a new lab station in the mail. It is basically a full function digital multimeter, variable voltage, regulated power supply and a variable temperature soldering iron all in one!!!

Here are some more shots.

I also ordered some extra tips. those should last me quite a while.

I had to drill a small hole in the back board to hide the power cord.

it sits nicely in perfect reach for whenever I need it!

Lastly, I filled the back board and side with some of my hobby tools.

So basically, that's where I'm at right now. I still want to buy a drill press. I will probably build a shelf that hangs off the left side for it to sit on. I'm not sure which one I will get, so I don't know how high the shelf needs to be. but I"m sure it will get done sometime.

Ok, Now that I have a workbench, I need to start building!!!!

Default Re: Finally have a dedicated workbench!

Awesome! Congrats on the man-cave upgrade!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Very nice man clean looking as well good job

Wow.. that should work quite nicely!!

Great job!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

That's much improved!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Outstanding! Wish MY workbench was inside the house! And the running water would be a huge plus also. Love the lab station.

+rep

(I fully expected it to include cabinets that utilized non-Euclidian space to make themselved larger inside than outside...)
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Very nice. I especially like the wall of tools. ...much better than the pile of tools that my workbench all too often turns into...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

that lab station is awesomeness. good work on the new bench, looks quite sturdy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Congrats on the workbench! Looks great! You won't regret the power strip.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Excellent work.