Thread: tinted glasses

Default tinted glasses

so in the past ive only used clear acrylic and plexiglass cuz thats all i had been exposed to and all i knew there was. but recently ive gotten more into looking at other's mods and have seen tinted glasses on many occasions. where can i get this, or do i have to tint it myself using like an auto glass tinter, if so how much does it cost where do i get it ect.?

Default Re: tinted glasses

I was planning on using tinting film on my mod too. If you need a small piece, I would try to stop by your local auto-sound installer and ask if they have any scraps laying around from their last job. If you need a big piece, I don't think it's expensive at all. Seems like I spent about $10 several years ago for a roll to do a whole car. Check out O'Reilly's or NAPA, they'll have it cheap. Maybe even Wal-mart. It's real easy to apply, very self-explanitory.

thanks jdbnsn appreciate the feedback, thats probally what ill go ahead and do. still wondering though if anyone knows of glass that has a tint that comes already in the glass, like a color that was melted with the plastic or whatnot to produce the transparent color effect. this would make cutting and etching a lot easier.

they make it, but i dont like any shops on the net that sell it. Search around here on old threads for like uv acrylic, you'll find a couple of links.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

McMaster Carr

Punch it into Google and you'll get an online catalog. They sell all kinds of Plastics. Do a Catalog search for Plexiglass and you'll get what your looking for.

Don't use that car tint, It doesn't stick well to plex (the static build up on the plastics surface), you'll get those cheapy looking purple bubles all over your case, you know the kind that show up in cars when it's not right.

Get the colored Plex (yes the color is in the plex, it's part of the plastic, so you cut it and the edge is the same color clear through...)

Take a look in the work logs @ Circuse de Soile (I spelled it wrong). He's making his whole case from yellow colored Plex...Looks great, and it will give you more Ideas...or Look at any thing from Defyant...He is a master with Plex, and his work logs go through things step by step, so you can learn too.

Good Luck,
    CrazyBillybob

(I'm a wood, styrene, and Aluminum builder myself)

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

if you live in or near a large city there is most likely a plastics company or 2 arround. these guys spcificly deal in plexiglass and lexan. there is a place here near my work and they have colorized plexi. i think you can get it tinted as well. im sure you have seen those little mail box things in schools and busness offices that are mounted on the wall (hope you know what im talking about) these guys make and sell those there as well and they are tinted plexi. definately look for one of these type shops.

k thanks a lot thats very helpfull. what colors tend to look better and what thicknesses would anyone recomend for the acrylic?

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob
    McMaster Carr

Punch it into Google and you'll get an online catalog. They sell all kinds of Plastics. Do a Catalog search for Plexiglass and you'll get what your looking for.

Don't use that car tint, It doesn't stick well to plex (the static build up on the plastics surface), you'll get those cheapy looking purple bubles all over your case, you know the kind that show up in cars when it's not right.

Get the colored Plex (yes the color is in the plex, it's part of the plastic, so you cut it and the edge is the same color clear through...)

Take a look in the work logs @ Circuse de Soile (I spelled it wrong). He's making his whole case from yellow colored Plex...Looks great, and it will give you more Ideas...or Look at any thing from Defyant...He is a master with Plex, and his work logs go through things step by step, so you can learn too.

Good Luck,
    CrazyBillybob

(I'm a wood, styrene, and Aluminum builder myself)
    Ahhh...That's good to know. I was planning on using the car tint thinking it would stick fine. Thanks.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bcampbell91
    k thanks a lot thats very helpfull. what colors tend to look better and what thicknesses would anyone recomend for the acrylic?
    1/8 in thick is fine for windows in cases, Most Acrylic cases use 3/8 or 1/4" thick.

I like blue but the blue transparent UV looks clear and doesn't glow as well I would have liked. The Green/Yellow is the common color I see besides clear.

k. i also saw some black tinted acrylic that looked like only highly lit objects would shine through, was this some kind of an opaque black acrylic tint or is that just how black acrylic tends to look?