Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change Display ID#?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Change Display ID#?

if you've got ATi cards then hydravision will do it correctly for you, thats what I'm using. the newer versions of catalyst have multiple desktops and multiple monitor settings

No ati cards in this rig unfortunately. Actually the only one I have at the moment in a rig is a 9250SE, lol. Though I am seriously wanting a new 5 series, as I've just got a taste of 3 screen gaming but softth is leaving a bit to be desired with frame rates. I think it has to do with my second card in a x1 slot, as no matter the settings (lowest, highest) I am stuck at about 24-30fps.

Ultramon works on both xp and 7-64 for me, so I will probably stick with that. Thanks guys.

I'll also suggest Display Fusion, that's what I've been using for a while now. A few others mentioned it. In it's basic form its free and that includes most wallpaper options other than slideshow.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    No ati cards in this rig unfortunately. Actually the only one I have at the moment in a rig is a 9250SE, lol. Though I am seriously wanting a new 5 series, as I've just got a taste of 3 screen gaming but softth is leaving a bit to be desired with frame rates. I think it has to do with my second card in a x1 slot, as no matter the settings (lowest, highest) I am stuck at about 24-30fps.

Ultramon works on both xp and 7-64 for me, so I will probably stick with that. Thanks guys.

Seriously, only pay for ultramon if you want the toys, displayfusion does EXACTLY what you want, for free.

I switched from displayfusion to Ultramon for a few reasons, but namely I wanted to just be able to press a button to change the layout of my four monitors (I have one on an anglepoise stand and it's hand being able to move it around, but not handy to crank open display settings every time I do). Also I always have something up on all the screens, so I never get to see the wallpaper anyway!

Prob not worth attempting 3 screen gaming with that setup, save up some pennies and get one of the new radeons with eyefinity, and a dvi adapter for the displayport on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    I had done 3-cable-monte for about 2 hours. The closest I got was 3-2-1. Any time the right monitor was plugged in to the primary card it was #1, and the middle number 2. But if I moved the right monitor onto the third card then it would be #3, but the middle monitor would switch back to #1, not #2. It didn't matter anyway as the wallpaper was still jumbled when it was 3-2-1, and not backwards like you think it would be.

My dualboot XP was registering different numbers anyway, so I'd have to switch cables every boot into a different OS. I think it has to do with which monitors are plugged in, in which order, when the OS is first installed/first run.

I will look into displayfusion. So far I am liking ultramon though, and it works perfectly, but I will check that one out.
    I know you're running Nvidia cards, but ATI's hydravision utility lets you switch the number round.

Also, you may run into the problem of displays switching back around to their original position even after you swap cables over. This is an issue with Windows auto-detecting the displays because of the installed drivers. Uninstall the drivers and it should be ok.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    Also, you may run into the problem of displays switching back around to their original position even after you swap cables over.
    This is a good point. I know 7 is very good about remembering how I had monitors configured the last time w,x,y, and z monitors were plugged into DVI ports a,b,d, and c, or whatever, but if you switch cables around it's obviously a different unique arrangement, so it goes to defaults. if I understood your original problem correctly, the display #'s don't actually matter anyways though, as long and the OS, drivers, and aux programs know what they're doing.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV