Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Far Cry

ATX Mental Case

Default Project : Far Cry

Far Cry is not the newest game out there but it’s still one of my favorites and with the largest LAN event in the country (New Zealand) only 121days away I figured it was about time to start my mod for the case mod competition.

Basic plan for this is to make a custom case that will hold lots of hard drives. On top if all goes to plan will be a model of my favorite level from the game “Fort” It was the first level I played when I downloaded the demo and I still enjoy playing round on it today. Haven’t fully decided what I will have on the front and sides of the case but it will of course involve the Far Cry name/logo and probably a Trigen in some form or another.

Started on the plans Last week after finally deciding on a theme for the case and after a few hours at work they were pretty much complete.

I was originally going to construct the case using acrylic but after finding the 6-8mm thickness I wanted to use was going to cost me about $300NZ (about $200US) I was quiet supprised by this as the 3mm acrylic I had used for my last case only cost $70NZ (45US) for a whole sheet.

With that in mind I decided to change plans and go with MDF wood which ended up costing me about $30NZ ($20US) In the end it shouldn’t matter to much as most of the initial case will be covered. Im pretty happy with this now that I have started anyway as the MDF is a lot easier to work with.

Off to the garage I went tonight to start building… here are a few pics of what’s done so far.

The wood for the case

Next step was to mark things out. I used a metal ruler for this rather then a tape mesure to insure accuracy.

It pays to check after marking things out that you have actually drawn what you intended to … things like this can sometimes happen.

To make sure I cut the right parts and cut them once I printed out this to show me what I needed to cut and how they fitted into the sheets of wood I had. I also crossed them off as they were cut.

Everything was cut roughly with the jigsaw and away from the actual lines as I intended to run the router along the edge after.

After cutting I clamped the parts to the table with another bit of wood under lined up with the cut line so I could use the router.

All the parts nicely cut out, just a bit of sanding on the edges and they will be done.

After many attempts and bits falling over I finally got the thing to stand up to show the basic shape of the case.

After that it was just after 11pm so I decided to pack up before I started getting yelled at by Mum. I’m Pretty happy with the first days work. 1 hour on it so far…. Many many more to go.

Thats all for tonight more updates tomorrow. I look foward to any comments, ideas or help you guys provide.

Thanks

Default Re: Project : Far Cry

square boxes are always interesting, im looking forward to how this will turn out. BTW if you havent seen crimson's far cry mod yet, take a look at it from a link on the front page.

ATX Mental Case

Yep did have a look at crimson’s far cry mod, as with all his work it was impressive

Update for tonight:

Didn’t get much done as I have some work to get finished by tomorrow. Here’s what I did manage to do though.

Finished cutting everything out. These pieces will go in the center, the mother board will mount to one and they will separate the cube into to parts one for mobo etc and the other will have the PSU and hard drives in it. With a little space in between the two separators to hide all those messy wires.

Next I made this little bit out of some angle aluminum I had. As seen in the next couple of pics I used it to drill holes for some doweling that will help hold the case together.

Here it is showing how it will be used.

This is my attempt to hold a bit of wood the camera and drill all while taking a photo, that’s why its kind of blurry

Tested it on a couple of scraps of wood first.

The results were pleasing so I went on to do the actual case parts. Ignore the extra holes, they were mistakes when I used two bits of wood which weren’t the same size to test it.

1, 2 miss a few 99, 100… missed out a few pics of drilling the case parts as they would pretty much be the same as the last two pics. Heres one of everthing loosely put together (was much easier to get it to stand up this time )

Nothing to interesting at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon though.

interesting, I'm lookin forward to see how this turns out. After all I bought my comp to play far cry back in the day and was always a big fan of the game. Good luck with the mod.

ATX Mental Case

Default Updates!

Haven’t done much on this for a while, was busy trying to get one of my model boats painted in time for a race meeting.

Anyway here’s the latest.

I started work for the day by chopping the back panel down to make room for a removable mother board tray.

Next step was to start making the tray. Took a while to get things drawn out and ready for me to cut. Here are a couple of pics of the parts.

A few minutes later and a bit of glue and the two parts become one.

All fits quiet nicely

So I decided I would try paint as I need to paint most of the inside of the case before I assemble it. The proper primer for the MDF that I used when making some furniture for my room is really thick and can only be brushed or rolled on, because of this it comes out quiet rough and would require a lot of sanding to make its smooth. I don’t know about anyone else but I hate sanding. I thought I would try use a normal sanding primer and to try avoid it soaking in I didn’t thin it down quiet as much as I normally would.

As you can see the paint is very rough because it didn’t come out of the gun nice and evenly due to the fact it was way too thick. Also it still soaked into the MDF slightly and made it swell up a little bit but not to badly. After a little sanding and a few more coats of primer it turned out not to bad though. I will still be trying to find a better way though.

Seeing I was just playing round with the paint I found some old black spray paint lying around and decided to give it a quick spray.

Here’s a few pics of the painted mobo tray in the case. It wont keep this finish as I intend to redo it later with some more decent paint.

Its hard to tell from this pic but its slightly out of square.

So it was time to make some corner braces.

Roughly cut out

A little sanding and a bit of time with the router and they are almost complete. Just have to fill the couple of holes that are there because I used scrap wood.

With the corner brace in place you can see more clearly the problem.

With the braces glued in place the tray is now near enough to square.

A pic of the tray with an old MATX board sitting on it. Also gives an idea on the size of the case.

The Motherboard Tray still has a bit of work to be done on it but I will leave it for the moment and go onto other things.

Only other thing I have done so far is make a few little corner pieces for inside the case to help keep it all nice and square.

I also played around with a few scrap bits of wood to see if I could find an easy way to seal it for painting that doesn’t involve a heap of sanding. So far the best I have come up with is spreading thick CA over the wood. This works quiet well, the only problem is it would be reasonably expensive. I have a few other things to try though.

I have a couple of other projects on the go at the moment so ill update this when I get more done on it.

Oh and thanks for the comment Aero

I still havn't played far cry...played the demo, managed to drive the car up a hill so that it fell backwards into a tree, and got itself stuck. I was shot dead shortly after.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ATX Mental Case

Woah I dont think I have managed to flip the car backwards really... will have to try it some time.

I did find you can flip the boat and get yourself thrown out if u drive full speed at a rock... who would have thought eh

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

That project is looking great! Great way to enter these forums (with a great mod)!

THIS IS MY 100th POST!!!

Anyways... GJ!
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

ATX Mental Case

Thanks for the kind words tybrenis and congrats on the 100th post

Resident Alcoholic

this case is lining up to be AWESOME! I havnt played far cry in years its making me want to!

Haha congrats on the 100th post! I reached 3000 on a stencil graffiti forum recently!