Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Far Cry

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project : Far Cry

Can't say that I have. I know most things will melt it, bondo does. Not sure how bondo would compare to spray putty though. I have never actually used spray putty for anything before. Might have to see if I can find some and try it out. Although I will probably stick to the fiberglass for this as it will add a lot of strength to the foam. Still it would be interesting to find out.

ATX Mental Case

After going to help one of mum’s friends with their computer I got home and it was 9:45pm This didn’t leave me much time to mod but still I worked till about midnight and got a little done. I also got a bit done at work today.

Got my rock mould. I will be getting another with some different shapes in the next couple of days.

Tried one first to make sure it wasn’t going to stick. The instructions that come with the mould recommend using something called hydracal which is similar to plaster of paris I believe. I decided to use body filler so that I could shape it later and glue to it. Plus I already had a big tin of it.

The results were very pleasing. Although you cant see it because the stupid camera wouldn’t focus on it the rock is very detailed and it popped out of the mould with no trouble at all. Now I just have to make a heap more of these things :p I might take my mask and building supplies to work tomorrow so I can get started.

That was what I did at work today, along with some internet time and actual work of course :p

This is what I managed to get done tonight after I got home…

The block of foam from the top which I had taken inside got marked out for carving. It then got redone as plans changed :p

Next up it was time to start attacking the foam. Unfortunately my dremel type tool died not long after starting so I used a metal ruler to scrape the foam out. This gave a very ugly result but with a bit of sanding I thought It should come right.

I was right, after a lot of sanding this is how it came up.

Still not perfect but it will be covered with a layer of fiber glass so any small imperfections will be hidden. It will then be covered for the most part with rocks like the one I made today so I’m not worried to much about how the fiber glass looks either :p

I then glued all the bits down to the top of the case. After that it was time to pack up.

Here’s a pic of how the case looks overall at the moment.

Tomorrow I need to finish off the front around the bottom then fiber glass all the foam.

All for now, more tomorrow hopefully. Again, thanks for looking everyone!

ATX Mental Case

Didn’t get much done tonight. Should have gone out to the garage earlier but I was busy playing GTA SA online :p

I basically just finished off part of the front. Not much to show or explain really.

Here are some pics…

Oh and to get the MDF to make the curve I Cut a series of slots most of the way through on the back side as shown in the following pic. I will fill the groves later on.

That’s all for tonight. It might be a little while before my next update as I want to finish another project which I have about 26days left to complete it. 26 days vs 65 …. 26 seems more important :p I also have to try find some tygon tube and a couple of water fittings so I can finish some things off to do with the water feature before sealing the foam.

More updates as soon as I do more work!

Thanks for looking people!

Rankenphile

You've been working your ass off on this, and it's really coming together nicely. Keep it up, it looks very good.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Looks awesome, I don't know much of woodworking, so I thought your MDF bending technique was pretty sweet.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile
    You've been working your ass off on this, and it's really coming together nicely. Keep it up, it looks very good.
    Thanks

Haha yup I have been working quiet hard on it. Having memories of last year when in the last couple of weeks leading up to the competition I was working on the case till 2-3am and every other spare moment I got. After all that effort I was still a few hours late to the LAN Don’t want that to happen again this year!

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis
    Looks awesome, I don't know much of woodworking, so I thought your MDF bending technique was pretty sweet.
    Thanks man. Yeh it was the only way I could think of to do the bending. Most other ways I know of to bed wood involve water/steam and water don’t go to good with MDF… is swells up to about twice its thickness.

Should be updating it again soon hopefully. Just waiting on a local supplier to get some tygon and various water fittings in stock.

ATX Mental Case

Hey guys,

Damn, almost got pushed onto the second page well….it’s finally time for an update. A very small update, but still an update. As I said in previous posts I wouldn’t be doing much on this due to other projects. Well the other project is almost complete with just a little sanding then painting to go. Also haven’t had much $$$ to spare … stupid youth rates Found some bits I can go on with on the inside though. Outside is waiting till I get some tubing and bits.

Anyway here is what I got done. Not much but still took a couple of hours to do.

Mounted the internal panel in the right hand side (looking from the front) of the case.

Only other thing I did was increase the size of my rock army :p

This is my other project that has been taking a bit of my time. Almost done now though so I should be able to spend more time on the case soon.

More updates soon

Water Cooled

The instructions that come with the mould recommend using something called hydracal which is similar to plaster of paris I believe. I decided to use body filler so that I could shape it later and glue to it.
    Given the small number of rocks you'll be making you'll probably be ok but just as a word of caution...
    Hydrocal is water based (and almost as strong as dental plaster). Body filler is NOT water based and will probably leach out some of the elastomers from the mold. This means the mold will get old, brittle and tears will happen sooner.

OMG, is this going to be like a fountian case?? COOL!!!

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Cevinzol
    Given the small number of rocks you'll be making you'll probably be ok but just as a word of caution...
    Hydrocal is water based (and almost as strong as dental plaster). Body filler is NOT water based and will probably leach out some of the elastomers from the mold. This means the mold will get old, brittle and tears will happen sooner.
    Good point. I didn’t actually think about that but it does make sence. The moulds only have to last for this project as I have no real use that I know of for after. Thanks for the warning though

Quote Originally Posted by Shikimaru
    OMG, is this going to be like a fountian case?? COOL!!!
    Yep if all goes well water should come up into the top lake type area and then run down the sides and front and into the bottom at the front of the case.

Update soon. Just have to upload pics and write stuff.