Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Far Cry

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project : Far Cry

Thanks man! I think I might run out of patients by the time I finish with all these little rocks

ATX Mental Case

Woah!... I was very excited to see this amongst the great work of the other featured articles. Thanks guys, its an honor!

Well I got a little bit more work done on the case last night. It was a little bit which took a long time!

I needed to make some elbow type joins for the water fittings to go to the top of the case.

So I took a bit of ½ inch brass rod.

Cut it into a few little bits.

Then a few more and cleaned them up a little on the bend grinder.

I drilled most of the way down through the bottom then through the side. Then I soldered in a bit of 5/32 brass tubing.

Close up of the solder. Lots of excess, not pretty but at least I know its sealed all nicely.

This doesn’t really show much and I’m feeling a bit to lazy at the moment to explain where these go exactly. Next update they should be all finished and in place so look out for another update tomorrow if you want to see.

Thanks for reading.

Looks interesting . . .I'm sure you'll explain all this. Looks like good work either way.

Boiler tubes. Is it going to be steam powered? Cool, I mean, Hot...

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Zero_Limits
    Woah!... I was very excited to see this amongst the great work of the other featured articles. Thanks guys, its an honor!

Well I got a little bit more work done on the case last night. It was a little bit which took a long time!

I needed to make some elbow type joins for the water fittings to go to the top of the case.

So I took a bit of ˝ inch brass rod.

Cut it into a few little bits.

Then a few more and cleaned them up a little on the bend grinder.

I drilled most of the way down through the bottom then through the side. Then I soldered in a bit of 5/32 brass tubing.

Close up of the solder. Lots of excess, not pretty but at least I know its sealed all nicely.

This doesn’t really show much and I’m feeling a bit to lazy at the moment to explain where these go exactly. Next update they should be all finished and in place so look out for another update tomorrow if you want to see.

Thanks for reading.
    taking a page from a plumbers how to guide and a little bit of creativity. Would be to Use a butane torche (radio shack has em for some bux) and heating the metal then placing the solder on to it (curved abit to the shape of the seam you want to fill) while still hot will give you a good uniform solder point.

ATX Mental Case

Wow... I don't know how I ever missed this project, but this is turning into one hell of a case. Hope the water fall idea works out for ya. Mine's on the back burner right now. Too much other crap going on...

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar
    Looks interesting . . .I'm sure you'll explain all this. Looks like good work either way.
    Thanks man, yep will be explained a little better in a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drac998
    taking a page from a plumbers how to guide and a little bit of creativity. Would be to Use a butane torche (radio shack has em for some bux) and heating the metal then placing the solder on to it (curved abit to the shape of the seam you want to fill) while still hot will give you a good uniform solder point.
    Thanks for that… That’s what I did :p Heated brass with the blow torch then applied solder… unfortunately it went into blobs like that. Possibly because the brass was alittle dirty there from the WD40 I used to lube while drilling so the solder didn’t stick and instead went to the blobs. Either way it appears to be sealed and you wont see this at all as it will be covered by fake rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by AceX
    Wow... I don't know how I ever missed this project, but this is turning into one hell of a case. Hope the water fall idea works out for ya. Mine's on the back burner right now. Too much other crap going on...
    Thanks very much. Somehow I missed seeing your project as well. I will have to go take a look at it some time soon!

ATX Mental Case

A little later then I said it would be, but here is an update.

Got a little more work done tonight. Mainly some more soldering, its surprising how long it takes to do all the soldering. I also got a few more rocks made while waiting for the blow torch to cool down a couple of times.

This pic should explain a little better what the things from the last update are for.

Close up on one of them

As you can see they are just elbow joints. I was originally going to just bend the tubing but it quickly became obvious that wasn’t going to work.

It’s a public holiday over here tomorrow so I will have the full day to work on the case.

Thanks for looking.

very very nice, can't wait to see this beast finished!

ATX Mental Case

WOW! Totally missed this one, looking good so far mate, keep going!

Paul