Thread: Wheely great case mod!!!! check it out.

Fresh Paint

Default Wheely great case mod!!!! check it out.

Check out my custom modded case. This is my first case mod ever and after having a black box with fans in it for so many years I decided to try something different mix it up and I figured the coolest way to make a pc stand out is to put it inside of a 18'' Alloy wheel. This isn't an entirely original idea they have made small nvidia inside a wheel and I've seen a couple of other custom wheels but non as cool as this one.

Specs are i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz+ (1.231v D0 stepping 24/7) , 6 gig 1600 mhz xmp memory 1 x 360mm and 1 x 120mm radiator 4 120mm smart fans. ATI 5770 soon to be crossfire. Raid 0 2 x Samsung f3 spinpoints.

Enjoy best way to see is the video on you tube as photos turned out blurry and size limited.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...9&d=1269152582

Default Re: Wheely great case mod!!!! check it out.

That's pretty effing sweet! Very clever idea. Mad props.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nicely done. We can has buildlog?

EDIT:
    Also, welcome to TBCS!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Unfortunately I didn't take photos in the process my next build I will. I have written a guide If anyone is interested in building there own its a big wall of text though so I'll only post it if anyone's interested.

ty for the warm welcome

Very cool, and do post up your guide. It would be a great addition to the tutorial section of the site if you are willing to post it. Personally I think it would be a shame not to post it if you already spent the time to write it up.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Fresh Paint

I unfortunately didn't take photos of this build in process as it was my first build and was just excited to put it together. It took about 4 weekends worth to get to were it is now.

Note:- Buy a decent size rim this one is 18'' but also note the depth of the rim as it will be very important when filling up the system you could get away with 17'' but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller plus it just looks like a datsun wheel if its under 17''. If you have a huge ass air cooler this will affect the depth.

Note:- When buying the rim make sure you have enough room to get your hands inside when needed, this will help with tinkering phase don't buy a completely closed rim otherwise you will be very frustrated(especially with water cooling pipes).

note:- location of board is usually based on where your gfx cards will fit so leave enough room for your gfx cards and dvi cables to protrude from the board.

note:- rims are metal avoid any cables being able to liven it up easily usually back board/motherboard mount is wood/plastic for best results. Can mount a metal motherboard plate off existing square box if its easier or if you have access to one.

First i bought the back board from bunnings and placed the wheel on the board traced out the shape and than cut out the shape. Than i put the motherboard on the board in the center and rotated it so it looked like a diamond than traced out were the motherboard would sit and also circled holes were the board fixes(note gfx cards are huge and need lots of space). I mounted the normal motherboard holders to the board and also used a couple of short screws later on which were directly screwed into the board(through the normal holes into the back board). Only do this for wood back boards.
    Also Before mounting the board you should spray it whatever colour you want and maybe clear coat it to make it look nice.

I carved out the writing and used hole saws to cut the cable/water tube holes this takes a bit of planning depending on were your power supply goes(can buy cable extenders later anyway). I didn't want any cables cluttering up inside of the rim so the psu is mounted on the back.

I designed the spacing for the 2 shelves that hold the water radiators and than I cut holes in the shelves so the air could flow freely through the shelving and than sprayed with the same colour as the board. There just basic shelves 140mm x 140mm wide with 120mm holes for air flow and 2 triangle pieces on either side to hold against the back board. I used liquid nails to hold them on its a bit messy you may be able to find other ways to do it. Screws splinter it and nails will be to long and may protrude through.

Mounting the board to the actually rim is tough I suggest drilling holes through the rim at a downward angle and than through the board and using a screw and lock nut to secure the board to the rim probably in a circular fashion so with at least 5 screw and lock nuts around the outer side of the board and rim (don't make them to close to the outside of the board as they may break the board when tightened). You may find other ways to secure the board to the rim.

A bottom board is required to hold the psu,hdds and will need to be attached to the rim(If you don't have water radiators you could use the shelves to mount hdds and psu therefore not needing a bottom board. Also a handle is required secured on top in order to move the computer easily I haven't done this part yet and will have to design a system for it. I'd imagine the handle would be attached via screws after drilling 2 holes in the top of the rim.

once all your boards and mounts are ready and sprayed with colour, you can now attach your motherboard, situate your psu hdds and cooling systems and than start tinkering with your cables and tubes.

Tinkering phase takes the longest and getting everything into position, if you have a good idea of where its all going before you build your shelves this may help when putting it together later on.

Problems that will occur.

GFX- Your graphics cards will sag if you note in the video or photo there is a green glowing tube that holds the graphics card up-write this is attached with a basic double sided sticky tab the weight of the card and the angle allows it to stay up write which is why the board is on a diamond shape angle. . I recommend building one out of wood shaping it to the right length and than creating a more solid screw or lock nut system for more stability.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...9&d=1269152582

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

You should put one of those rubberband tires on that beast to complete it.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

i was thinkin of doing something like this.. my buddy got a whole bunch of miss matched 20 inch 6 lug rims... and 2 18 inch black 5 lug rims.. i wanna put my 360 in one looks sweet man...
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.