Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacky Fans

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Wacky Fans

Does anyone know what could cause computer fans to frequently raise and lower their speed? It keeps going "WHIIRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrr r" all day long. I've tried messing with the settings in RivaTuner but those don't seem to have anything to do with it.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Wacky Fans

Are you sure it's actually changing its speed? That kind of noise could be bearing-related also, even at a constant speed.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

It sounds like it is because it does it on and off. It'll do the whirring crap for about a half hour and then calm down for a while. I'm thinking of getting some canned air to spray the whole case out with as it's rather dusty. ><

sounds like a thermal issue, getting hot then cooling off then getting hot, etc.

try the canned air like you said.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

How old are the fans? Like BoB said it could be a bearing/bushing issue. Our humidifier had the fan crap out this winter and that kind of sounds like what it was doing before it died. When I did the "autopsy" the bushings were all gummed up with dried up grease.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Yah, I'd be inclined to say it's a bushing/bearing issue too. I once had a video card mounted desktop-style (horizontally) for a long time. I then sold it to a friend, who had it mounted tower-style with the fan upside down. The fan had been silent, more or less, when I had it but in my friend's computer it made all kinds of noise periodically. When flipped back on its side, it quieted down. I guess from being on it side the bearings had gotten all out of whack.
    Definitely spray it out with the canned air, and if that doesn't work, replace them if possible. To test for a heat-related issue, try opening the case, and parking a floor fan next to it (ie, create so much airflow that there's no way it'll overheat) and if the fans still make noise, you know the problem's not heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

I booted it up this morning after disabling RivaTuner and haven't heard any whirring yet. I'm gonna pick up some canned air soon to clean out the case anyway. The fans are probably a year or two old by now, at least.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I'd seriously look into buying the cheapest compressor you can get - my first compressor cost roughly the same as about 8 can's of air would have, and it served me remarkably well, paying for itself at least a dozen times over in compressed air cans alone....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    I'd seriously look into buying the cheapest compressor you can get - my first compressor cost roughly the same as about 8 can's of air would have, and it served me remarkably well, paying for itself at least a dozen times over in compressed air cans alone....
    too true - my badger compressor cost me about $170 (it's rated basically for airbrushes and not much else) and it's worked beautifully for the...gosh...15+ years I've had it. I haven't regretted the purchase at all, even given that I was in high school when I got it and took quite a lot of allowance money...
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

We do have a little 3 gallon compressor but I'm a little reluctant to use it because I don't want moisture or oil blown inside of my tower.