Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Storm

Default Blue Storm

So here it is. Im starting my second project, and i have 2 warnings, 1 this will be my first water cooled rig, and i will be using some used parts where i can. The second is that this build will be slooooow. Like one or 2 updates a month once i have to start buying parts, so it will probably be part build, part review as i oogle over the new toys as they come in. So, the story commences.

The goal: to make a watercooled rig in a cooler master 690 case, the lighting will be blue, and not blindingly bright, and the only cables that should be seen through the window will be the 24pin power connecter, the 4 pin processor connector, and the 6 pin graphics connectors (one at first, a second will be possible later). The budget is 1500, and thats where the parts list falls for everything new. Some things may be upgraded if i find good deals, or deals that go very underbudget ill be getting better parts. So this project began early because my gf got me the case for our one year anniversary (:bannana. So here we go!

The case! and yes i have the radiator mounted to the motherboard for now to keep it safe and together. lol.

The radiator was purchased from SXRguyinMA, huge thanks and a + rep goes to him for helping me out with this! The Res is built in to the top, and i will be using it to make a fill port to the top of the case.

The case has quite a bit of mesh to cut out to make it as quiet as possible.

Here we can see the screwless PCI slots. That blue will not DO! they will have to be painted.

The drive bays where the 120 mm radiator will be mounted, the tape signifies the mounting bars (much, much thicker than the bars will be) that will be used for the rad mount, and allowing the blue fan to shine through the front.

The 240 mm rad will be mounted on top... however, the pre made mount points wont fit the fans under the cover, and will block too much of the mother board, so it will have to be modded... hmm... who would have thought... So you can see the lines where the 120mm fans will poke through, about half of the fan will sit above the case, the mounting solution will have to be improvised, so i will be stealing ideas from R2's sand crawler, and using flatbar to mount it.

The vent for the back will be morphed into an open panel so that i can change out heatsink back plates like many of the newer cases.

here are the toys that came in e case.

A few more details.

The interior color scheme is yet to be determined, how ever the outside will be satin black, there will be an aluminum bottom plate to hide the cables coming from the PSU, and there will be a mobo cover that covers the bottom inch or so to hide the cables that are going to be plugged in. The next update will be the window design for the side, Enjoy!
    Not dead yet

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Re: Blue Storm

Interesting placement for a radiator. Looking forward to see more.

EDIT: didn't read the entire post. I was thinking you were gunna do something crazy. haha
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

hmm... well... its... kind of crazy... the top panel of the case only has about 15mm of space for fans, so i had to improvise a way to make everything fit without blocking a big chunk of the mobo, but that would be a sweet placement... anyone with crazy ideas should give this a shot!
    Not dead yet

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

looking good! I cant wait to see it!

hmm... started on the design for the window, will probably post pics of it when its taped out. is there a way to... clearcoat, without making it shiny? i want the interior to be a satin white, but the clear would make it shiny wouldnt it? hmmm... help requested...
    Not dead yet

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

you can probably find a matte or satni clearcoat at home depot or the like

There are a few flat/matte/satin clears on the market. Menards has a decent rattlecan selection. An art/craft store like Hobby Lobby would probably have something as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

thanks for the input guys, the window design came to me while i was pondering some math homework, and i should have it taped up soon. after that it will probably be may 15-20 before i can do any work on it with my good friend mr dremmel.
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks like a good start. I'll be interested to see what you do for mounting the top rad.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Looks like a good start. I'll be interested to see what you do for mounting the top rad.
    I was stumped, but then i had an idea... an eeeevil idea...

mwahaha
    Not dead yet