Thread: Planning Top Panel mod for my Armor

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Planning Top Panel mod for my Armor

Alright, so I've been toying with this idea for a while, and spent some time in sketchup getting it drawn out. The plan is to make a new top panel, and have slats waterjet cut. These will open and close by way of a servo. I'm hoping to be able to use a temp sensor, so the hotter the internal case temp gets the more they open, and the faster the 120mm fan I'm planning on putting under them will run. When the computer is off the slats will be closed and sit flush with the rest of the top panel.

All I've got to figure out is how to control the servo. I've been toying with the idea of an Arduino (or Arduino clone), and may end up going that route. I've got some spare temp sensors that came with my NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller and I've got a ton of R/C servos laying around. The metalwork will be relatively easy. The tough part it going to be programming the Arduino to take the readings from the temp sensor and adjust the opening and fan speed accordingly.

The 120mm fan will be the clear 4-LED type. I've got plenty of RGB LEDs left over, and will most likely wire up this fan to go with the rest of the case lighting I've got already (see my Armor Redux mod for more on that.)

Heres the sketches I've come up with.

Last Thoughts

Default Re: Planning Top Panel mod for my Armor

Looks like Alienware beat you to the punch. But you probably already knew that.

yep, thats where this idea came from lol

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I don't think the arduino coding will be that hard. Some sensor readings that trigger IF STATEMENTS. Ill do some research and see what I come up with.

So the louvers will be metal or acrylic? If acrylic it may be cheaper to have them laser cut. I have a friend who laser cuts acrylic for $1.35 a min. Those are simple designs and shold cut quick.

I was planning on having the top panel and fins water-jet cut out of aluminum. The waterjet guy near me quoted ~$75 to cut out the entire side panel when I was doing project monster, so I'd assume this would be easier. The plan is to have small ledges on the bottom of each fin, so when they're closed they'll sit flush perfectly with each other and the top of the case. If I can achieve the same with acrylic it might work. The other thing is the small tabs on either side of the fin will have to be bent perfectly so they line up perfectly with the linkage and mounting holes

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

With the ledge and the precise bends I would go with aluminum too.