Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Question Where to start?

Alright, I'm planning a top panel mod on my Armor (see this thread).

I'm going to need a controller that will run a single servo and a 120mm fan. It needs to run that servo and fan based on temperature. As temp inside the case rises, it will run the fan faster and move the servo to open the vents more. I've got some spare temp leads from my NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller, so I can use those.

The fan is a standard 120mm with a 3-pin connector. The servo I have, and is a standard size R/C servo with 3 leads.

Now I know there is going to be a lot of programming to get this to work right, but 'm going to have a shot at it.

Now the question....where do I begin? What model Arduino would be best for this? What (if any) shield(s) would I need?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Will

Default Re: Where to start?

A custom shield to connect everything would be good. A basic Arduino can do everything you need, I'd recommend the 5V model ATMega168.

Where to begin?
    Start with designing how it all fits together, but I can give you a hint, you're going to need a mosfet.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

shoud I get this to start then?

I had the same issue. It depends if you want to tinker around a bit, or really want to focus on your project. If the latter, most of the extra stuff is pretty useless.

I got things separately as I couldn't justify an extra $30 for a couple LED's, resistors, switches, etc.

Then again, I went and splurged on an LCD screen, ethernet board, protoboard, etc.

I just didn't see how the smallest handful of components was worth the markup, which is why I grabbed the 3lb bag of components separately, and just got the actual pieces of Arduino hardware/accessories that I wanted.

yea good point. I dont see myself donig much tinkering with it, I just want it for one specific purpose. Oh BTW - did you see makershed has a SD card shield for the arduino? I know you mentioned getting/making one or something

Ya, I've seen a couple. I've seen the stand alone one, and one that was meant for the audio shield that you can address on it's own.

I don't need one right away, but when I try to port my app to a hardware implementation I'll need it then.

A breadboard would probably be a good idea for prototyping.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I've got one, I picked up one from radio shack along with the jumper wire kit, Its awesome. So that will come in handy with the arduino then?

so Crenn, if I get this and this, it should be a good start?

That's the same one I grabbed. It has the 328 chip instead of the older one so you get some extra lanes and whatnot. Should work well for you. The shield is pretty darn cheap, so can't really go wrong with that.

I've got the damn ticket to go to the post office to pick mine up. It was at the PO this morning, but they made me wait for the ticket, and wait another day.

Too excited.