Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Post pics of your cooling setups. Air, Water and Extreme setups welcome!

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Post pics of your cooling setups. Air, Water and Extreme setups welcome!

Here is 2 photos I hope will show a few people what not to do.... 10mm Tygon on 3/8" Danger Den Fatboys. Always measure the ID of your tubing. Some how I wound up with 10mm Tygon instead of the proper 3/8". I notified Danger Den and they shipped me new 3/8" Tygon overnight and even threw in a full set of 1/2" Fatboy fitings FOR FREE in case I wanted to use the 10mm. That tells you what a stand up company Danger Den is. They corrected their mistake in the fastest way possible and gave me extra hardware for free! I recommend them to everyone.

This is also a good example as to why you should always leak test the WC system for more than a few minutes. My leaks did not develop until about hour 16 into the leak test. It took that long for the pump to dump enough heat into the loop and allow the tubing to soften and expand. I thought I had fixed the leaks so I leak tested it again, and sure enough around hour 17 the leaks came back.

Oh and for those of you who have a keen eye, Yes I did have the standard white clamps on the tubing. I took them off for these pics. It leaked even with the clamps as snug as they would get.

Again, I can not say enough about how wonderful a company Danger Den is. Their customer service is the best in the business and they really made an impression on me by quickly fixing the problem. So if you are looking for WC gear stop by http://dangerden.com and consider purchasing something from them.

Notice how the tubing does not look "stretched" over the barb. It look and felt like it made a complete seal but sadly it did not.

Anoter shot of the 10mm Tygon being too big for 3/8" Fatboys.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Post pics of your cooling setups. Air, Water and Extreme setups welcome!

If you dip the ends of the tubing in warm or hot water it will help make a tighter seal around the barb. This will also allow you to use even smaller tubing to get a perfect seal.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    If you dip the ends of the tubing in warm or hot water it will help make a tighter seal around the barb. This will also allow you to use even smaller tubing to get a perfect seal.
    For clarification, this only works if the tubing ID is smaller than the fitting OD. In this case it was the other way around, so it would actually make the problem worse.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

x88x is correct. In this instance, the tubing was too large for the barbs. When I re-install the loop this week I will be using some 3/8" tubing on 1/2" barbs, and will heat the tube ends in water.

is it possible to get 3/8 over 1/2 fatboys? b/c i have 2 order new tubing, with a thicker wall so it wont collapse...
    Not dead yet

Yes it is possible. You just have to heat the tubings ends in hot water to soften them up. Once on and cooled back down the connection will be so tight that if you have a lot of twist in the tube it can unscrew the fittings.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    I too have a small 200w PSU I modded with a toggle switch on the green and black wires to power my pump for filling, bleeding, and leak testing. Best 30 minutes I ever spent.
    Funny, mine has a toggle switch on the back. Best 30 seconds I ever spent.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

so, what do you all plug in during leak testing? (to the psu) i would appreciate the advice as im completing my 1st loop monday and dont really know what do do besides the obvious... is there a guide? just a quick rundown would do... Thanks for the support guys
    Not dead yet

Yes just the PSU. Here is what I do.

• Unplug all power connections to HDD, Mobo, Optical drives and video cards.
    • Jump black and green wire on 24 pin to turn PSU On
    • Fill loop as much as possible with pump off
    • Plug pump in to PSU
    • Continue to fill loop until full / bled of all air
    • Place paper towels under the edge of all water blocks, low points in tubing, under pump, under Radiator and under reservoir.
    • Let run for 16-24 hours, keeping check every hour or so for leaks. (if using colored coolant it will stain the paper towel.)
    • If leak free after testing is finished power up your system.

Some people leak test with all the components out side the case. This is a bad thing to do IMO as during installation, things can get bumped, twisted, and stretched, which could cause a leak.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Because I use a test PSU rather then doing the old jumper trick with my dedicated one I just plug my pump into my test PSU while having everything else installed in the case. Flick the switch on the back of the PSU and it turns on, do it again and it turns off. Once the loop is full I leave it running for 24 hours and monitor for leaks. When I am satisfied I plug the pump back into my dedicated PSU and fire up the system.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08