Thread: only 200 mb on 8gb flash drive?

Default only 200 mb on 8gb flash drive?

I got an 8gb flash drive from my gf, and on my mac it shows up as 8gb, (7.3 but on my PC it shows up as a 200 mb drive, i have tried to format the disk on both computers... im lost. Help?
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: only 200 mb on 8gb flash drive?

Is it by any chance a Sandisk U3 drive? IIRC the 'CD' partition is about 200MB, and since you plugged in into a Mac first, it may have gotten confused about whether or not it should use U3 or not.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

It's also possible that the large partition is Mac-Formatted (idn - I don't use them but I'm assuming they don't use a MS format system) so the PC can't see it.

Right click computer, then manage and look into Storage and then disk management - might help narrow it down...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

@x88x: its a geek squad drive (x_x)

@ slave, here's the screen shot for the disk manager

Not dead yet

Odd - it doesn't say unrecognised filesystem or anything like that, nor does it say unallocated, There is a partition there, but Windows doesn't know what it is or what to do with it.

I'd try clicking (might be right clicking) and trying to delete the partition - the 7.29GB one. Then create a new partition, format it as normal and allocate a drive letter (most of this will happen automatically with the default settings so no need to change anything) then it should come up in windows explorer as just over 7GB...

Alternatively, you can right click the 7.29gb, delete the partition, then right click the 200mb one and extend/resize it to the whole size so you don't get two different drive letters when you insert the drive...

it has the delete volume, extend volume, and shrink volume commands greyed out on the menu with this drive. this is why i love my damn $15 OCZ diesel... havnt had any issues with it... go geeksquad!
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I would take a look at it with a Gparted live CD and find out what that partition actually is. If there isn't any info on that drive that you need, you could also just delete it with that too, and just throw on a nice VFAT partition.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Take a look at my tutorial on how to install Windows 7 on a netbook - specifically page 2. If you follow the steps outlined to prepare the memory stick, it should do the trick. You'll end up with a single volume at the full size of the memory stick so make sure there's nothing in that 200mb partition you need. Click here to go straight to page 2 of the tutorial.

Note you won't need to insert a windows 7 dvd as instructed - that was just so someone following the tutorial would be able to then copy the Win7 installation files to the USB key

I too had a similar problem with my 8gb memory card only showing onoy 900mb.

i followed the steps as mentioned and i was returned a error while the formatting is under 0 % progress .

Fortunately it asked for formate in windows as soon as my DOS stoped working .

After the Quick format in windows now it show full capacity ..

This trick work like charm, Thanks to slave convention.