Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking

Fresh Paint

Default Overclocking

Ok so I am new to overclocking. I never saw the reason to do it so I never have. But I been having an urge to overclock but have no clue. I have a Foxconn Flame Blade Motherboard, 6gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 1.65v ram, Intel i7 930 2.8ghz CPU, 900w Single Rail PSU, and water cooling. So i can handle water clocking but I just dont get how to do it.

EVGA bios looks nothing like foxconn's and foxconn has no forum so I cant get help there. If any1 know what to do it in lamens term much will be appreciated. I want to push my CPU to 4.0 if I can.

Here is what I will try if I get the go ahead by you guys.

vCore - 1.32v
    Multiplier - x21
    Bclock - 190 or 211
    Hyper Threading - On
    QPI and Memory Multipliers on lowest ? <--i dont get this
    CPU Turbo - always on

Default Re: Overclocking

Short Version: Increase bclock.

Long version, IM me, and I can try to help. I'll sign into Yahoo and MSN right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

I tried, and failed to help. He has this motherboard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf2foO6lHYA

I tried having him raise bclock, vcore, and it wouldnt post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

Fresh Paint

bump

bum chip perhaps? adequate cooling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Fresh Paint

I have water cooling on CPU and voltage regulator. How do u tell if a chip or bum chip? I can use computer just fine at default clocks

well not so much bum chip but one that was good enough for stock speeds but might have had a minor enough defect to cause it to be not overclockable? lol I have no idea just throwing stuff out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I don't have an i7 to play with and I've never had the opportunity to play with one. All I know about the new on-board memory-controller architecture has been gained in the form of random tidbits that I've read online. With that said, I'd recommend lowering the multiplier either as low as it will go or fairly low and then trying to increase the bclock and voltage. If this still doesn't work, you may have been unlucky enough to get a bottom-bin chip...which means it isn't going to overclock.
    If it does work, then keep increasing the bclock while leaving the multiplier alone. Each time let the OS boot and run prime95 or something similar for a few minutes to gauge the stability of the OC. See how high you can get just the bclock so you know where the upper ceiling is with that. Once you can't get it any higher do the following:
    1. Set an effective clockspeed (ECS...because I'm lazy) goal just a tad more then the current ECS...say 2900 to start. Take baby steps...you can't just shoot for 4000!
    2. Divide that goal by the current multiplier to get a new bclock.
    3. Set the new bclock and confirm it.
    4. Boot the OS and check the ECS with cpu-z or your favorite CPU monitoring program. If it doesn't boot, try increasing the voltage a bit...the limit for your chip is 1.375v...your motherboard should prevent you from over-volting, but some boards don't, so I'm warning you just in case.
    5. If prime95 runs without errors for 5 minutes or so, it's likely you can go a bit higher.
    6. If you get stuck, try bumping up the multiplier by doing the following: divide your current ECS by an increased multiplier. This will give you a lower bclock which means more room to OC.
    7. If you want to OC more and the chip is willing, repeat from step #1. If you or your chip are done, then run prime95 for say 10 hours or so on torture mode. Keep an eye on temperatures for the first hour...if it gets too hot, then abort and get a bigger rad or wimp out and lower the OC. If there are errors then the OC is not stable and needs to be lowered a bit...or if you're not at the voltage cap, try increasing the voltage a bit more to stabilize it. There's nothing worse than a bluescreen between the downing of that really hard boss and the next checkpoint or in the middle of an unsaved school/work project.

Just some things to consider: increasing the bclock increases the performance of both the CPU and your RAM, while the multiplier only affects your CPU. It's more beneficial to keep the bclock as high as possible rather than max out your multiplier.
    Last edited by mDust; 05-04-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot...that's why.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

The limit is actually about 1.4 24/7 1.55 for benching
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    The limit is actually about 1.4 24/7 1.55 for benching
    VID Voltage Range 0.800V-1.375V
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447

The chip might be able to handle >1.375v but it may not be safe and is likely not good for it at all. I'll recommend what Intel says, but if anyone wants to push their chip harder, they are free to do so.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.