Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly microcontrollers, but...shipment from Electronics Goldmine!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Not exactly microcontrollers, but...shipment from Electronics Goldmine!

Like it says, not exactly microcontrollers, but we don't have an electronics section.

I didn't think to take a shot before I opened the giant, heavy box, but here's what was inside:

And opened:

Here's the stuff I actually ordered on purpose...

Mostly self explanatory, but what are those shiny things? Are they military grade gyroscopes? For only $16 each? I think they are. I've got a few ideas for these...

Now, to the..."surprises"

I got one of each of their 'surprise' boxes, a normal one, a 'super', and a 'ginormous'. They say that they have the different sizes so that they can put bigger stuff in the bigger stuff in it, and that was definitely true for the 'ginormous', but..not so much for the 'super' (at least in my case). Yeah yeah, I know, enough with the talking, time for pictures!

Ginormous: (no, the screwdriver sets weren't part of it...)

Some interesting stuff here. A couple keypads, an IR sensor, a window sensor, a random wall wart, the guts of a slimline ODD...ummm...some sort of handheld UV lamp?...some stuff that I have no clue what it is..or was...and a bunch of assorted parts, mostly caps, screws, and header pins.

Now, the normal and 'super': (super is above the thinning, normal is below..I was running out of table space, ok? )

Sure are a lot of those orange caps...hmmm...heheheheheh...

I'll post a better rundown once I finish sorting it, but I'm already seeing some stuff that could be useful. I guess this kinda thing really is hit or miss..."surprise"!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Not exactly microcontrollers, but...shipment from Electronics Goldmine!

WOW your score was much larger than mine.

Make a Coil gun with those orange flash caps. You can use the circuit in a disposable camera to charge the cap bank! See link in my sig.

Looks like we need to make a grab bag / surprise box sticky lol.

Default Re: Not exactly microcontrollers, but...shipment from Electronics Goldmine!

After sorting, I actually got a pretty nice assortment of stuff. I did take a picture, but...my camera's at home...and I'm not... >_> I had a LOT of capacitors, enough to fill the 'super' box just a little over the top...and that was just the big ones! There's also a pretty nice little pile of little ones. Also got a crapton of RCA jacks, a bunch of RJ11 jacks and splitters, a small pile or resistors, a pretty decent assortment of buttons, about 10 or so switches or various types, a few potentiometers..including several tiny ones that will be perfect for an idea I have.. There was even a random little IC, a small greyscale LCD, and some surface mount transistors. ...I really need to swing by Harbor Freight and pick up some more drawer..things..whatever they're called...

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Make a Coil gun with those orange flash caps.
    Heheheh, you read my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Looks like we need to make a grab bag / surprise box sticky lol.
    Not a bad idea, that. I know there are a bunch of businesses that do grab bag type deals, it'd be good to have a central comparison of them. One drawback about this stuff though...because the surprise boxes weighed so much, I ended up spending almost $30 in shipping for this order.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Looks like some expensive computer barfed on your desk...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Ok, here we go.

SORTED (picture that in the announcer's voice from UT2004)

Full size link if anyone wants to see it in more detail:
    http://www.imgboot.com/image.php?u=x88x&i=sorted.jpg

...and yes, I realize just now that the focus is on the table leg....stupid camera...

EDIT:
    ...aaaanndd there are three fire trucks outside my apartment building....that's....odd...I think I'm going to surreptitiously take a walk and see if I can tell if I should be worried or not....

EDIT2:
    Ok, they're going into the building across the parking lot and I can't see any flames or smell any smoke. Plus, they're not telling anyone to get out of the buildings (even the one they're going into), so I'm just not gonna worry about it.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

whats a "precision rate gyros"?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Ok, now that the fire trucks are taken care of... -_^ ...on to the contents of the boxes!

Some buttons (representative sample):

fuses (representative sample):

switches and transistors:
    Those big ones are interesting. They're rotary DPTT switches.

some DIP switches:

LOTS of RCA jacks (representative sample):

Big pile of RJ11 jacks:

Some LEDs, IC sockets, ..inductors?:

Potentiometers and transformers:

Craptons of capacitors :

Some small caps and other random assorted stuff:

And last but not least, a little pile of resistors:
    Interesting range, this..I've got everything from some giant 120 Ohm ones to a little 15GigaOhm one.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    whats a "precision rate gyros"?
    Precision gyroscopes. Apparently these specific ones were put in use during the Cold War, and were used in several different fighters and missiles.
    http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/art...w.php?item=902

EDIT:
    These two are both stamped 'May 1983'.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Those "Inductors?" could also be caps. Too hard to tell without being able to look at/read them, though.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Finally got all the big caps sorted last night. I'll post a better, labeled picture tonight, but I snapped this on the way out the door this morning:

And before anyone sits there counting them (hopefully caught you before you started ), yes, that center group is 100 identical caps. Actually, the orange ones above the block are also identical, and the blue ones around those as the same ratings, but they would have messed up the perfect 100 square.

For the coil gun idea, I'm debating between a bunch of those orange guys, at 330uF 35V each, or the two giants in the bottom left corner, 220uF 450V each. Ah well, I've got plenty to test with at least. I gotta say, assuming all these work, I got more than my money's worth just in caps. Heck, just those two giants alone are probably worth about what I paid for the 'super' box.
    --Benjamin Franklin