Thread: Acronis, Ghost, etc

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Acronis, Ghost, etc

I want to upgrade my laptop from 160GB to 640GB or more. I would love to avoid the whole reinstalling drivers and stuff if possible. I've never imaged a drive before.

What should I use and how hard is it to do? Elaborate.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Acronis, Ghost, etc

I've used a few different utilities over the years, and depending on the use, my favorite at the moment at Clonezilla and FarStone's Total Recovery Pro. Both will do what you are looking for, and both can be done for free (Total Recovery Pro has a 14 day trial).

If you're looking for ease of use, Total Recovery is great, but if you want something that won't touch the data on the drive at all, Clonezilla would be better. Total Recovery Pro is a system backup utility, whereas Clonezilla is just a drive cloning utility, so TRP requires that a client be installed on the OS before imaging.

..of course there's always dd...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

dd?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

lol... i use ghost at work... hmm... other than that cc cloner... they are both pretty easy
    Not dead yet

I just got done cloning my hard drive with Acronis. It was a very easy process. the install was super annoying. I had to enter a 32-digit serial code to install it!!

I had a 160GB hard drive and now I have a 750GB drive. It's actually quite an amazing feat. It copies everything! You really notice it when you open the internet and come here and the cookie is there to log you in!
    WH1T3 0U7

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I just got done cloning my hard drive with Acronis. It was a very easy process. the install was super annoying. I had to enter a 32-digit serial code to install it!!

I had a 160GB hard drive and now I have a 750GB drive. It's actually quite an amazing feat. It copies everything! You really notice it when you open the internet and come here and the cookie is there to log you in!
    This is one of the reasons I use clonezilla. It looks daunting but is really easy and fast. None of your data gets touched at all...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

It partitioned the drive automatically to 630GB and 80GB's. The 80GB sectioned included the 10GB of Recovery? The hidden files turned on, the 10GB says it's empty. Since I don't need all 80GB for recovery, I partitioned the drive into two. 15GB for recovery and 65GB as a Secondary drive that I'll put all my stuff on.

That's a total of 710GB Windows sees out of the 750GB it labled at
    WH1T3 0U7