Thread: Startup Problems/Lock ups

Default Startup Problems/Lock ups

Okay so my computer is fairly new, as in 3 months old. My problem started yesterday morning. I turned my computer on in the morning, as I always do, to check my email and news. About 3 mintues in my computer "freezes." My web browser locks up and I am unable to to exit out. I cannot open up task manager, and I am unable to click on anything, but I am able to move my mouse and still hear everything. I end up having to hit the power button. I go through this cycle 2 or 3 times of restarting, locking up after a couple minutes of use, restarting etc, but then it just goes away and my computer works fine.

Come this morning, I go through my normal procedure in the morning. But instead of booting into windows I get "A disk read error occurred" and it tells me to hit "Ctrl + alt + delete" to reboot, so I do. I just end up looping through this for quite awhile but it finally boots into windows.

I honostly dont know what the problem is. I have not done anything recently. I am overclocked but I even went to defualt settings and the problems still occurred. Any ideas, Im not sure even where to start. I was thinking my HDD may be failing but I dont know. That is the only piece of hardware that isnt really considered "new" Also, whenver my computer shuts off improperly, I do lose all my cookies to the sites I visit and have to relog-in.

Systems specs are in sig, and all my temps are fine.

I cant believe I wrote this much
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

Default Re: Startup Problems/Lock ups

Sounds like HDD to me. Back up your files now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Luckly the couple times I have gotten into Windows I have been able to backup my files. I have a chkdsk running currently. I dont know, it may posibly fix the problem?

If that doesnt work, maybe a reformat would work.
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

I'd try a chkdsk /r to see if the drive can be repaired. A diagnostic tool will tell you for sure if your hdd is failing. With the price of storage these days, maybe it's time to go new anyways.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I ran chkdsk and the first time I got a blue screen. Ran it again and now I am booting up fine. So far no problems but I have a feeling this is temporary. Man sometimes computers bug the hell out of me lol

that would be hard drive, my laptop does the same thing, luckily its under warranty, im just to lazy to call asus and have them send me a new HDD, besides i hate seagate drives and i know they will send me another one

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Just tossing this out there. Checked for bulging caps?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

it does sound like a hard drive. If it was your RAM it would reboot randomly, if it was your Proc it would shutdown entirely, but your HD would cause freezes
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440