Thread: Total noob question

Default Total noob question

Hey

I've been following projects on here for over a year and have been planning my own. I bought all the stuff I want and then AHH!!!

The pc I'm modding isn't a built one, but a factory computer(gateway)

So now, when I was going to replace the case, I couldn't. The motherboard faces in the opposite direction and is specially made for the case it came in. What I mean is that it fits on the left, the cases at stores have them on the right

What are some suggestions on what to do? Should I try taking the back panel of this case and putting it on the new one?

Sorry if this is a total noob question and has been asked before, I just wasn't sure what to search for.

Thanks

Water Cooled

Default Re: Total noob question

I've seen some cases made the way you describe.
    I found this case at Silvertone - Wind tunnel at www.xoxide.com
    It supposedly puts the CPU on the bottom, where the cooler air is. The M/B is just flipped around, if that the case it should fit in a normal case. Last I knew Gateway machines were pretty industry standard.

On the other hand it could be completely proprietary and the standoffs could be in different places as well. If thats the case then you have your work cut out for you.

I would recomend a couple things
    1) post some pictures of the machine (if you can)
    2) if no pictures, then post a link to the exact model, in case there is something more we can see.
    3) if you're serious and have the time/equipment you may be able to remove the M/B with its back panel as a whole and Mod it into the new case with pop rivets or bolts.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Blatant disclaimer -> Bear in mind that almost any modding will void the warranty if its new.

Here is a pic of my current case
    (sorry for the mess but I'm moving my computer room around and so it isn't to organzied right now...)

Here is the case I want to put it into...

Thanks

I'm thinkin I will go to Tigerdirect and just buy another MB, just for modding purposes...cuz this is going to be pretty tough if I have to replace the entire backing

I'll try it out next weekend...but please provide some help till them

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

yeah, just get another case just for moddin', don't worry about transplanting PC's.

stupid proprietary layouts >.<

ATX Mental Case

yeah your going to need a new mobo for this. you should have boughten parts seperately and note from a company made pc.
    Comp Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 939 3200+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2x 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    100GB HDD 7200 RPM SATA
    2x in SLI, 7600 GT 256 MB
    500W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by qoou
    yeah your going to need a new mobo for this. you should have boughten parts seperately and note from a company made pc.
    Not entirely true, sometimes a company strikes a deal with Hardware/Software dealers and you can get a decent setup for less than the price of the individual parts. Especially true for getting software most company made ones come with XP and office and you can save a nice wee bit (at least, here in the UK you can save a little).

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Not entirely true, sometimes a company strikes a deal with Hardware/Software dealers and you can get a decent setup for less than the price of the individual parts. Especially true for getting software most company made ones come with XP and office and you can save a nice wee bit (at least, here in the UK you can save a little).

-Dave
    Yeah I hate it when companies do that. At first it seems like a good deal, but when something breaks you have to buy it from them (propritary sucks). And if anything goes a stray with XP you don't have a full version, only the reset disk, so you can't completely reformat.

I know, but I got a good deal on it, and it was before I knew the parts of the computer and how to build it...but if I could go back, I would definetly do it myself