Thread: recommend me: mid tower w mobo tray

Fresh Paint

Default recommend me: mid tower w mobo tray

No need to buy a new case if I can't find one that really gets me excited. My requirements:

1) Removable motherboard tray
    2) Height of front I/O must be no lower than external 3.5" bays. The Zalman GT1000 is the perfect example of as low as I can go. This pretty much eliminates most Lian-Li models.
    3) Front I/O must include IEEE1394
    4) All air intakes must have one of the following a) a fan mount b) a metal grill c) a removable filter
    5) The motherboard tray must line up with I/O panel (I'm looking at you, Antec P160)
    6) Any fan that comes with the case must be user replacable (I'm looking at you, Silverstone TJ-09)
    7) Must have at least 4 5.25" bays and 1 3.5" external bay.
    No panel or door over the external drive bays
    9) Does not come with PSU.

Icing on the cake:
    1) esata
    2) air filter
    3) handles
    4) wheels
    5) aluminum (can be modded to add wheels and handles)
    6) A pdf user manual that is searchable
    7) no windows

Fresh Paint

Default Re: recommend me: mid tower w mobo tray

The closest match that I have found is the Ultra m998.

Does anyone know where I can order a custom modded one?

I'm big on handles and wheels.

Ah, forget that model. The model I really wanted was the Lian-li PC-V1010 and it's still the only model I've ever looked at that I've really liked. I collect many things but I never thought I'd resort to collecting old PC chassis. I should have got one while the getting was good.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

The NZXT Panzerbox came immediately to mind, and seems to have everything you want except front-panel IEEE1394. It does have eSATA, however.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    The NZXT Panzerbox came immediately to mind, and seems to have everything you want except front-panel IEEE1394. It does have eSATA, however.
    Nowhere near enough drive bays. If I can't get IEEE1394 on the front, then I need an extra drive bay to install a drive bay module with IEEE1394. Lian-Li makes such devices that will fit into 5.25" bays.

I really truly am going to use 4 5.25" bays and 1 3.5" bay.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I searched around for about an hour, sifting through newegg with as many of your requirements as possible through the power search option. I found pretty much nothing. That I don't recommend cheap toyish cases, so there might have been something that I looked over.

Have you thought about building your own? It's not incredibly difficult and some sites out there sell things like motherboard trays, hard drive cages, etc. Although, you could build those pretty easily too. Just start with the skeleton using square tubing, use slabs of aluminum for paneling and use the extra pieces for everything else. Order premade parts for anything you don't want to build. Cut everything you need out and assemble it. Pretty simple really. You can always rent the tools you don't have, too.

One of my favorite mods that had done this is NLM (nano LAN monster). I'd provide the link but I'm on my iPod at the moment and I don't want to risk having to rewrite all this.

Edit: Scratch that, here it is...

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=9985
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Fresh Paint

The easier route seams to be to get a full tower from Lian-Li. The PC-B71. I suppose they are getting more popular now that people are using 4 video cards for 1 computer.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Well sure, but where's the fun in that? Seriously though, that is actually a pretty darn nice case. Even I kinda want it.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dnewhous View Post
    1) Removable motherboard tray
    This is honestly gonna be the hardest one to fit in. A lot of manufacturers have stopped making them, I guess for cost saving reasons. You might want to take a look at the Cooler Master Centurion and RC lines. There are several different models, with the Centurions covering the mid-tower size range and the RC's covering the full-tower range, and I think pretty much all of them will meet all but this requirement.

6) A pdf user manual that is searchable
    Cases come with user manuals?

Does anyone know where I can order a custom modded one?
    Heretic!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Alright, now the choice of damping material.

<snip>

An intelligent discussion should go on another thread.