Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Project: Archangel II

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Archangel II

Very nice end product.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Heh, thanks - though "end product" is a bit premature. I've only finished construction - now comes some testing and then all the cosmetic stuff.

So, I couldn't get all three monitors working at the same time, which is when I discovered that the HDMI port and one DVI port share a connection...so, I need to use the DisplayPort, uh, port to get all three. Ordered a cable and will put it to use when it gets here.

As this is a laptop panel, the viewing angle is not great, so I will probably end up tilting the top in, but I won't know for sure until I get a chance to use it for a few days. At that point, I will take it apart, clean up edges, make the buttons, fill in imperfections and paint it.

And now I am having issues getting all three monitors working even with the cable. I've submitted a support ticket to the card manufacturer, so we will see what they have to say.

Figured it out: turns out that the DisplayPort connector needs an active connection in order to work. I got that and have been using it for the past week. Three conclusions:

1. It's stuck in 4:3 ratio, which I suspect is because that is what the other two monitors are. If that's the worst problem, I can live with it. Plus, that means that the panel I "popped" could still work as a spare, as the LCD bleed is on a border.
    2. The viewing angle is bad, as I suspected that it might be. I am going to come up with a mod for the top anchor to enable me to tilt it.
    3. Given the open-backed design, the panel puts out a fair amount of light against the wall. I expected this, and plan to put some blue glass back there to make a "ground effect' kinda deal. Pretty excited about that.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Wait, I forgot.

Where did you get the controller?

The display(s) I am planning on using is/are LG Philips.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Ebay. He has a few different models available. When you buy, you just tell him what panel you have, and he finds the right firmware for it (email ahead of time to make sure he has it.)

Yeah, I know it's from China. I took a risk on it, but he (and his staff) were incredibly helpful and straight forward. (Also, the shipping takes a while.)

Quick note: It's been most of a month with this monitor. Never did figure out how to get it out of 4:3, even with tech support. I am almost 100% positive that it's card-based and not this board.

No other issues with it aside from the viewing angle, which I expected. I'd totally have this fixed, painted and finished...I've just gotten too used to having it there to take it apart and be without it...