Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lapping Your Processor For Fun and Profit!

Default Re: Lapping Your Processor For Fun and Profit!

I thought i'd try this out for kicks. I have a couple old celeron single core proc's laying around that i dont have a use for. Perfect! I scavanged some glass from a candle holder lantern thing, grabed some 240, 400, 600 grit dry paper and went to town. I wasnt peticularily worried if i messed up so i did a super fast job, about 40 min total. I started with the 400 just to see how it would go. It was taking forever so i went to the 240 and started really hauling on it. When the aluminum top coat was removed and the surface started to flaten out the concave surface and became smooth, i switched to the 400 grit and started to haul away on it some more. Went to 600. Then i had a stupid idea. I thought i'd try some polishing compound on the glass the same as i did the paper. That made a mess and i had to restart at 400 to fix the big scratches it put in it. All's well that ends well i guess. Exceptional quality surface and i managed to not bend a single pin.

I could have gone to a further grit paper and or a buffing wheel on a grinder to get it to a mirror finish but its not worth the money i'd have to spend on the sand paper. I think it's a pretty damn good improvment over what it was like before

I took pic's of the whole operation but imageshack is being a whore today and is going at a snails pace. I'll upload the pics tomorrow afternoon when i get home from work.

[edit] Images were done faster than i thought.

I made sure to copy the specs and serials just incase

Awesome tutorial, I feel confident now that i could attempt this on a much more expencive processor.

A+++
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

A while ago I picked up a pack of two sheets each of 300, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit off ebay for ~$10, iirc. It's lasted me several years and I haven't even touched the second set of paper.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by CanaBalistic
    Awesome tutorial, I feel confident now that i could attempt this on a much more expencive processor.
    You've got the technique down, but if you do lap a more expensive processor, make sure you use much higher grit papers. Those lower grit papers work faster because they tear larger gaps through the metal...this is bad for perfectly mating two surfaces, which is the goal here. I'd recommend at least 1500-2000 grit to finish, with higher grits and polishing compound being optional.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x
    It's lasted me several years and I haven't even touched the second set of paper.
    Haha, you have to sand stuff with the paper to use it up. If you don't, technically it does last forever! Though, I've found that wetting the paper and then keeping it clean makes it last a very long time.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

If you use a polishing compound, be sure to use a degreaser to get all the residue out. It's really nasty and won't break down with just water. Lapping compound not removed can leave temperatures just as bad as unlapped because the TIM has to sit on top of non thermally conductive lapping compound.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Haha, you have to sand stuff with the paper to use it up. If you don't, technically it does last forever! Though, I've found that wetting the paper and then keeping it clean makes it last a very long time.

Perhaps I should have said, I'm still using the first set several years later. Some of the sheets are nearing the end of their life, but I've lapped, iirc, 3 waterblocks, 1 CPU, and 1 heatsink with them. Only the 400 and 600 are really showing any wear.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV