Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celeron D VS Pentium 775?

Default Celeron D VS Pentium 775?

I have a Pentium 4 775 3Ghz HT and want to upgrade. I want to get a dual core proc but the stores around here are way to expencive. That leaves me with ebay. They have many listings for dual core celerons but at an average price of $150-200 it makes me wonder if its a good idea. Would i get a performace gain with the celeron d over my 3Ghz prescott?

I am looking for somthing in the range of $350. I probly could go to $450 but i dont really want to.

I have roughly $270 on paypal and the option to buy a cool watercooling kit that would soak up all my paypal money. Now i really want to get the watercooling kit because i am doing a case mod and love to get my hands dirty. Aswell the seller of the kit is leaving for china soon and might not come back which means no watercooling kit. The kit itself is cool and is a bargain for the price he is asking. I havent seen another kit with a 360 rad for less than what this guy is asking.

Finishing the case would make me extremly happy but so would a blistering fast computer.

I have untill the 25th of this month to decide if im going to buy the watercooling kit. I can wait another month or two and have an additional $150-200 to buy a new cpu and mobo (if i choose amd) but as far as cpu's go, it has to be a dual core.

Ideas and sugjestions are appriceated!!

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Celeron D VS Pentium 775?

here is a dual core 3GHz pentium d for 262 on newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116212

if you dont like that you could just look around the site until you see what you like

im pretty sure that a dual core celeron will not boost any of your speeds, and will probably lower them.

How does an athalon 64 (say around 3700) stack up against a pentium d 2.8?

idk, but a 3800 x2 would kick its butt.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Cana-Balsitic
    How does an athalon 64 (say around 3700) stack up against a pentium d 2.8?
    That depends on what you are talking about... Working with any program that is not written for multi threading the Athlon 64 3700+ is going to absolutely destroy the Pentium D 2.8, such as in many games especially older games. If you're talking about multi-tasking, or working with programs that are multi-threaded then the Pentium is going to have a slight advantage because it is dual core. If you're talking about heat problems once again AMD smokes Intel the AMD is going to run a lot cooler.
    Visit my site --> Kansas City LAN and Tech Promo Site <--

Asus A8R-MVP
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.64ghz)
    ATI Saphire Radeon X1600 Pro x2 crossfire
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL

ATX Mental Case

dude look through websites. Parts are soo much cheaper online. Newegg and Tigerdirect are the 2 most popular.
    No genuis is a organized worker.

PROJECT "2GHz OF THUMPIN BASS" HAS BEGUN!!!! CHEAK IT OUT IN THE "PROJECT WORKLOGS" AREA.

I have a 3ghz prescott the only proplem is the heat. that all i have seen but i havent tried to bench it yet. I can do alot of muti tasking as far as run a MMO, AIM, a program that lets me run the mmo in a window(the game exits if taken out of full screen) and search the internet with no problem what so ever. the only problem i have is when i run azurus (a bit torrent prog) it takes 80% of the bandwith. but thats not a CPU problem thats just having slow internet.
    All your base are belong to us.

I dont have a credit card. i only have paypal.

I did apply for a credit card and should hear back within the week but im not holding my breath. I have some debt that could affect me getting the card.

Im looking for the best bang for my buck. I allready have an intel compatible system and i could just pop in a new mobo & cpu and off i'd go. but if i choose amd i need the mobo & cpu plus a new heatsink and psu. im unsure of what i want but i dont want to get suckered into a bad setup based on price. I know you guys are smart and i value your input. Thus, why im asking.

Life is like an analogy...

i have a couple question that can help us help you.

1) what brand of power supply do you have, and how many watts is it good for?

2) on your current motherboard, what chipset do you have? i dont know for sure, but it looks like anything before the intel 945 chipset doesnt support dual core.

i just want to keep talking here, but i think its probably best if you answer those question first. that will help narrow down the path you can take to get dual core.

so, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it