Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tips for working with plexi/acrylic

Default Re: Tips for working with plexi/acrylic

New question, how does the flame sanding thing work? I tried it on a little scrap with a butane torch and kept the flame away from the plexi using only heat, but as soon as it began to heat it bubbled and turned black. Hmmm, more practice perhaps?

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Hey,

I can only give you a few tips. I assume you saw the flame polishing technique in my work log, right? Just remember to not get too close, and ALWAYS keep the torch moving. A butane torch isn't really ideal for this kind of application, professionals use a hydrogen/oxygen torch.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Yeah, I saw your worklog yesterday again which made me think to try it. Hmmm... I have a heat gun paint stripper here that I have never used before. Maybe I'll give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Yeah, I saw your worklog yesterday again which made me think to try it. Hmmm... I have a heat gun paint stripper here that I have never used before. Maybe I'll give that a go.
    Tell me how it goes, I've never tried using a heat gun for polishing.
    Typo:

Still, no luck. I used a wagner power stripper which worker better than the butane torch, but I still get bubbling before the plexi smooths out no matter how slowly I have tried. I guess I just need to keep practicing.

Hey, just tried the flame polish thing. All I had on hand was a small propane torch for soldering, but it actually turned out quite good! Not a very hot flame so it required some close contact and I made off with only one small flaw! I did the full 80/120/220/400 sandpaper routine first and that made it pretty easy. I will be posting the pics in my worklog soon, this was one area that had me a little scared but now I wanna flame polish everything!

Quote Originally Posted by bobthecarguy
    Hey, just tried the flame polish thing. All I had on hand was a small propane torch for soldering, but it actually turned out quite good! Not a very hot flame so it required some close contact and I made off with only one small flaw! I did the full 80/120/220/400 sandpaper routine first and that made it pretty easy. I will be posting the pics in my worklog soon, this was one area that had me a little scared but now I wanna flame polish everything!

Yeah, I'd love to see your pics, I am thinking that I was not doing enough sanding. I'll follow your lead and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Yeah, I'd love to see your pics, I am thinking that I was not doing enough sanding. I'll follow your lead and try again.
    Sounds good, but we NEVER sanded the edges when I polished them... then again, that was a professional torch.
    Typo:

Posted the pics in the worklog.

What I would like to know is how to cut a nice smooth edge, the edge of the panel that was cut at the Plastic shop required little or no sanding but my Jigsaw cuts were BRUTAL! I am sure I was using the wrong blade for the job as it was actually melting the Plexi and partially resealing the panels behind the blade!

Quote Originally Posted by bobthecarguy
    Posted the pics in the worklog.

What I would like to know is how to cut a nice smooth edge, the edge of the panel that was cut at the Plastic shop required little or no sanding but my Jigsaw cuts were BRUTAL! I am sure I was using the wrong blade for the job as it was actually melting the Plexi and partially resealing the panels behind the blade!
    Saw your pics, well done! As for the cutting, great question! I originally tried a table saw which didn't seem to work well, but might work better with a different blade. I use a band saw now and my cuts are much like the ones you describe and require lots of sanding. Maybe someone could throw us a bone on cutting techniques or proper blades?