Thread: Case Fan Angst

Spaceroach

Angry Case Fan Angst

Okay, I just got some fans and a nifty fan controller by Super Flower. However, the fan controller accepts 3 pin connectors, and my fans, I'm sorry to say, are of the two-wires-spliced-into-a-four-pin-connector variety, with the yellow wire hanging off by itself (attached, and this is the irritating part, to a THREE PIN CONNECTOR!!!1 ). Do fan manufacturers hate people with fan buses?

So I intend to attach the red and black wires to the three pin connector, which brings me to my final dilemma: the yellow wire is about 1/2 the length of the red and black ones, and will not reach the fan controller from the back of the case. So I get to snip it and either take the extra effort to extend it, or just forget about it. I know it has something to do with sensors, and isn't needed to power the fan, but will I be able to control fan speed without it?

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

D'Oh

Default Re: Case Fan Angst

Sure you will... the controlers only do work on the +12vcc line. So if u need not the tachometer function, u can improveise the connectors and use them.. or u could lengthen them..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

You don't really need the yellow wire, i custom made all my wireing, i removed the yellow wire as it is an unessecary wire, so long as you don't want to read the fan RPM.
    Fan contraolers are basic resisters.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Spaceroach

Thanks guys, I'll go snip it right away.

EDIT: The fan on my Thermaltake Bigwater (Please don't boo my ghetto watercooler) radiator has the same setup as listed above, but also has a 2-pin connector for its included speed adjuster. Should I even bother messing with it? I suppose I could just replace the fan (maybe with a Panaflo ) but the presence of yet two more wires protruding from a fan has me scratching my head. I'll probably try it anyway; maybe if I just don't plug anything into the 2 pin the fan will pretend it's not even there and work like a "normal" fan. Thoughts?

D'Oh

You are very right.. i did have a Tt fan for a long time, and if u don't connect the controler, the fan works full-speed.

I'm not saying this to offend you, but (i'm studying electronics at my university) you should google some electric and electronic books and read them. I found several good ones and they helped me at some exams and a bit in redoing the wiring in a "different" fashion. But it also helped in giving me a better understanding and a lot of confidence when f***ing up things

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|