Thread: Ati Xgp

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Ati Xgp

Does any compatible products even exist? I've never seen them. I was just looking at this netbook a few minutes ago...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115685

And noticed the weird XGP port. Apparently it's for an external graphics solution? So an external graphics card, I think, is what that means? But like I said, I've never seen any XGP graphics cards.

Kind of a neat idea, though. You could technically bring the power of desktop graphics processing power to your portable machine this way. Allowing you to go smaller in portable device size, without sacrificing that area of power.

That's a pretty cool netbook, too. I just hate two things about it. The Ferrari logo and the more than half the rated battery life compared to other netbooks in the $350+ range. But hell, if I could buy a sweet graphics card for it... it still wouldn't be no dream machine because of the pathetically weak dual core processor, but it'd beat the hell out of my current setup. lol (iPod Touch. Lmao)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Ati Xgp

There are solutions of XGP cards, I have seen on other forums people having them.

Not sure where to get them now though.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...s/ati-xgp.aspx
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Interesting, I've never seen an actual product with that. Nice! Like I'm sure you've figured out, it's basically an external PCIe extension. Because it's just an extension of the bus, you can theoretically pair any PCIe card with it, but unfortunately not many have been released by any manufacturers, and the ones I've seen are normally either previous generation or low-end.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Kind of a neat idea, though. You could technically bring the power of desktop graphics processing power to your portable machine this way. Allowing you to go smaller in portable device size, without sacrificing that area of power.
    That's the general idea.

That's a pretty cool netbook, too. I just hate two things about it. The Ferrari logo and the more than half the rated battery life compared to other netbooks in the $350+ range. But hell, if I could buy a sweet graphics card for it... it still wouldn't be no dream machine because of the pathetically weak dual core processor, but it'd beat the hell out of my current setup. lol (iPod Touch. Lmao)
    It would beat the hell out of any netbook too. That Athlon 64 X2 is a pretty capable CPU, more than enough to crush an Atom, anyways. Unfortunately, that also means that it pulls more power, thus the reason for the lower battery life.

What I would love to see is some subnotebooks with powerful CPUs and XGP ports.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Which is a shame because if they made more XGP's I'd jump on it. Instead I've accepted the fact that the 2.26GHz CPU and 9800GTS is getting old and wont be able to play with the new kids so I've migrated over to the 360 for the new games.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

So odd. Some people have them. They've even been tested by review sites. But they are nowhere to be found.

A new and more powerful solution was even mentioned in 2010 CES, but it was nothing more than that. Vaporware, basically.

They even have laptops and XGP solutions that were designed TOGETHER. Where the hell is all of this stuff? It's like it existed for an extremely short period of time, then disappeared completely. Yet apparently Acer is all like, durrr, let's make a netbook with an XGP port for no reason at all.

Sometimes I hate technology. lol It's so frustrating. And it usually something to do with company stupidity. Like not pushing a great product.

I would have probably thought about buying that Ferrari, but definitely not now. Too expensive with no real benefit. A bit more power where it's not needed is not what I need.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

A new and more powerful solution was even mentioned in 2010 CES, but it was nothing more than that. Vaporware, basically.
    AMD basically pulled it a while back. Supposedly, they have a more "open" solution coming "soon" (possibly USB3.0 based (it has the bandwidth) or using the standard PCIe external connectors).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol