Thread: SFF for Gaming PC?

Default SFF for Gaming PC?

Hey i had some q's about building an SFF gaming rig. I wanted to know what the heat looks like on a general level, is it worth it? I have no idea. Ive built computers into low profile cases, but nothing outside of ATX. I know most Micro cases tend to overheat, but my experience with them has never been with a custom built one. If anyone could give me some info that would be great! Even if it just points me to some other articles!

Thanks in advance!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: SFF for Gaming PC?

It really depends on a number of factors. The case you use, the types of fans, the types of heat sinks, the electrical components themselves.

But I know people build them, so there must be a realistic solution there somewhere.

The Nzxt Rogue, albiet somewhat on the large size, cool's pretty well and can fit most parts. But, like I said, it's a bit big, like probably the biggest SFF case out there. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

I just recently built a an Ultra SFF gaming PC for my friend. It has a Zotac Mini-ITX motherboard, slim-line disc drive, 500GB 2.5" hard drive, HD-5770, Core i3 and 4GB DDR3 RAM all packed into a Silverstone SG-05. Even with all that packed in there the temps are very cool.

Hope that helps,
    Indybird

My bro built one too. Runs pretty cool. I'll post some pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Have never run an atx case. Never encountered any real heat issues (had only one fan in a micro with a watercooled 8800ultra, 850w psu, 4 gigs, and all oced, then started to get heat issues, added a second fan no problems). Micro is the way to go.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

As long as you keep everything properly cooled and keep airflow through the case you shouldn't have any problems. If you check out my mightyMite mod or craigbru's Rogue, you can see some of the limits of SFF cooling. The problem I ran into that ended up prompting me to moving to a larger case was that my NB wasn't getting properly cooled because it was still on air and I wasn't getting enough airflow through that part of the case.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV