Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After 3+ years, I got fired

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: After 3+ years, I got fired

I'd rather be working soon and cancel the unemployment anyway. I really don't want to leech from the gov't any how.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I'd rather be working soon and cancel the unemployment anyway. I really don't want to leech from the gov't any how.
    Unemployment is NOT leaching. One of the benefits of working full time is unemployment insurance. The company is required to pay a certain amount into it and that is figured as part of your wage. This is why companies have a veto vote in your unemployment compensation.

Unemployment insurance is not like welfare.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

This, like Social Security, is part of what's cut from each check. You paid in, don't feel bad about using it.

I worked for 12 years, now I'm disabled. I paid into Social Security, I'm not gonna feel too bad about getting some back out.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Like Social Security, Unemployment pays a lot more out than you ever put in. So yes, it's leeching
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Like Social Security, Unemployment pays a lot more out than you ever put in. So yes, it's leeching
    Sort of. I personally think it depends on how you use or abuse the system. If you file for unemployment to help with the bills while you find a job, that is one thing. If you file for unemployment to help with the bills while you spend the next 6 moths playing video games, that is another thing altogether.

I have been in a situation where I truly needed the money to pay bills and another time I knew I was going to be employed in a couple of months, so I didn't collect.

But in the end it is a personal choice.

Just your attitude concerning Unemployment shows me what sort of person you are. (not in a bad way)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I worked my *** off for years and years and last year I got forced into disability. (Literally forced, as in the doctors refused to release me to go back to work after my last time in the hospital and told me to file for Disability.)

Do I like it? Absolutely not. I miss working. If I was capable of returning to work, I'd definitely do so.

Can I help it? Again, absolutely not. I'm sick, and can't help it.

Do I feel like I'm a leech on the government? Not really. I paid in the whole time I worked and I did not choose to be disabled. Also, the government doesn't give me that much money

Anyway, just wanted to provide a little food for thought.

Good luck with getting a job.

If I claimed it for a reason such as "depression" or "ADHD" I'd agree with mooching.

This hasn't left staff, but I might as well come out with it. I'm currently looking at disability because I have a terminal genetic condition known as Marfan's syndrome, and between the ravages of the disease and the medication they give me to control the worst of it, I'm absolutely worthless as a worker now. I've been told by multiple doctors my days of working are at an end, and no job in the world would keep me through all the doctor's visits necessary to keep me running.

Now, as to leeching, then if you use insurance, you're a leech. You didn't pay into insurance what you get out, so using your own logic, that makes you a leech. Of course, that isn't a true statement, though logical. The system exists that we all pay in, so that if someone has to take out, the money is there. Insurance is the same thing, only privatized. The mechanism is entirely the same, and it exists to help those in situations like yours where they're being morons and firing people without just cause.

That said, I wish you all luck with your interview, and if you don't have to use it, then by all means don't. If it's easier on your conscience, and you have the savings necessary to get by, it's not a requirement you use it. But mooching off the government is an issue of intent, not of payout. I don't believe you'd ever intend to mooch, and would use the money to stabilize yourself while you sought a job you're actually qualified for.

My two cents. Need to lay back down, bad day today.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Actually you as an employee do not pay anything into the Unemployment system. The company you work for does. They pay a percentage per check up to the first $7000 dollars you make PER CALENDAR YEAR. They pay a percentage to both Federal and State programs. Companies also pay for Unemployment insurance as well, which is why they fight it so much, the more they pay out, the more their insurance costs them. So if you worked for them for say 3.5 years.. they paid a percentage of $28,000 into the system on your behalf. If you need it.. its your not leeching. Its those that take advantage of it when they could be working that do.

Regardless. I think I'm gonna call them and cancel my request. I don't need it that bad and I don't need my old job contesting and winning (rubbing it in my face). I've had 4 interviews in the 5 days since I lost my job, something will hit soon enough. Radio Shack basically told me that I could be managing my own store in a few years. I don't picture myself running a store, because I'm just not that motivated or ambitious
    WH1T3 0U7

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    If I claimed it for a reason such as "depression" or "ADHD" I'd agree with mooching.

This hasn't left staff, but I might as well come out with it. I'm currently looking at disability because I have a terminal genetic condition known as Marfan's syndrome, and between the ravages of the disease and the medication they give me to control the worst of it, I'm absolutely worthless as a worker now. I've been told by multiple doctors my days of working are at an end, and no job in the world would keep me through all the doctor's visits necessary to keep me running.

Now, as to leeching, then if you use insurance, you're a leech. You didn't pay into insurance what you get out, so using your own logic, that makes you a leech. Of course, that isn't a true statement, though logical. The system exists that we all pay in, so that if someone has to take out, the money is there. Insurance is the same thing, only privatized. The mechanism is entirely the same, and it exists to help those in situations like yours where they're being morons and firing people without just cause.

That said, I wish you all luck with your interview, and if you don't have to use it, then by all means don't. If it's easier on your conscience, and you have the savings necessary to get by, it's not a requirement you use it. But mooching off the government is an issue of intent, not of payout. I don't believe you'd ever intend to mooch, and would use the money to stabilize yourself while you sought a job you're actually qualified for.

My two cents. Need to lay back down, bad day today.

ive noticed alot of ppl have been using things like ADHD and depression to get disability here in canada.. it sickens me... ive been on support a few times.. but i like everyone it apears.. feels like a leech... i feel horrible.. i'd rather be working... but this.. "hey lets jump on disability with BS for money" thing is goin too far... and the ppl in public housing... they get a nice place.. dirty cheap... (think like $300 a month) and they never leave.. never givin that oppertunity to ppl who need it (public housing has a line of about 20 yrs right now) and on top of that.. ppl who have kids on wellfare for the money.. i know a chick.. who gets knocked up every 4 years just so she can continue to recieve money from wellfare... and collect on the baby bonuses... oh and guess what.. she also has public housing that she hasnt let go of for YEARS!

these ppl r the low ones... u guys takin maybe a month or 2 on unemployment r ok.... u guys takin disability because you r actually DISABLED... u guys r cool...
    ADHD cant even remotely be a reason... guess what.. i "have" it...
    like every other hyper child (when i was like i was diagnosed with it...
    why.... so my doctor could push pills on me to make me more manage-able
    (dont even get me started on how lazy the educational system has gotten)
    ARGH!!! mini rant over.... dont feel bad about it man.. the ppl ive listed.. they should feel bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.