Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8800 Gt

Default Re: 8800 Gt

see thats what i thought as well because my other power supply had 19 amps on each rails as well. but it turned out i needed 25 amps on each rail or something. plus it didn't help that my power supply was rated at what it was suppose to be. so that is why i bought a the corsair 750 wat one. 60 amps on each rail i do believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken (and I may well be), the rails are separate and it would only draw from one with a single power connector. That PSU has two native PCIe connectors. I would try an adapter that will let you hook two Molex connectors into a single PCIe connector and see what that does. The specs show it has six Molex connectors, if there are three connectors on two native cables try one from each cable in this adapter. If it does split the amperage that will provide power from both.

I've heard multi-rail PSUs derided for this very reason.

Edit: I used to run an 8800GT off of two 400-watt PSUs this way, one Molex from each separate PSU, and it ran fine. They only had one rail each at 16A.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

ATX Mental Case

So you would suggest something like this so that It can draw power from both rails?
    http://www.xoxide.com/hiper-pci-e-adapter.html
    So for future reference this PSU would work becuase it's single rail at 30 amps.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139008
    "Do or do not... there is no try."
    -Yoda

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    So you would suggest something like this so that It can draw power from both rails?
    http://www.xoxide.com/hiper-pci-e-adapter.html
    So for future reference this PSU would work becuase it's single rail at 30 amps.
    Yes, on both counts. Personally, because of stuff like this, I won't buy a multi-rail PSU. Also, PC Power & Cooling and Corsair don't make multi-rail PSUs (except for the 1kV Corsair), and they're the only manufacturers I'll buy for systems I really care about...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

actually biggoofy i tried that with my power supply to. running off of the molexs and it didn't work. the problem is you need a new power supply. not a extension. the power supply isn't rated at what its suppose to be or isnt give you enough power. so you need a new better one like that corsair one. x88x is right corsair and pc and cooling are very good manufacturers.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Rosewill is Newegg's in house brand. Not saying that its at all bad, but their PSUs aren't up to the task of ANY gaming whatsoever.

Here's a good test for PSU. If it feels quite heavy, then it is good. If a 600 watt PSU weighs less than the paperback version of Lord Of the Rings, well....I'd get a different PSU.

Having gone the route of Rosewill in the past (WoW would lock up on me way back in the day until I got a beefier PSU), I am willing to bet that this is the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I've got this PSU and its 12v rail is rated @60A I'm also running 2 Radeon HD3870x2's off this puppy with no issues. both with a 6-pin and 8-pin connector

http://www.sharksystems.com/browse/c...paign=SS808612

ATX Mental Case

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I learned my lesson and seems I have to do a little more research in the PS department. And now I'm investing in a new PSU. Even though this is only 400w the rail is it 30 amps, and its super cheap after rebate.
    "Do or do not... there is no try."
    -Yoda

MUCH better choice! You should be rather pleased with it.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Another plus for that new PSU Corsair has earned a reputation for quality products.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field