Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Honda ATC 200S Freshening Up

Default Honda ATC 200S Freshening Up

Scored a 200S as a freebie the other day. Been fiddling with it trying to get it going.

First I had to rebuild the recoil starter. It had been filled with water, and seized. I was able to hose it with blaster enough to get it moving. Then the cord broke. So I pulled it apart and gave it a good cleaning. Put a new rope in it. I ended up leaving the parts for the decompression out after realizing it was useless...

Then My Dad, and myself pulled it around with the lawn mower to try and get it going after the recoil starter couldn't. It started, but it was clear that the carb was gunked up. So I took it apart and it had jello inside it... I cleaned that out, and cleaned all the ports out with carb cleaner, and a air blower. Put it back on, but the fuel line was rotted so I replaced that.

We tried pulling it around again, but it wouldn't start this time. Pulled the plug, and it was fouled. So because I couldn't find one aroung the shop to stick in it, he (My Dad) used a glass blaster to clean it. After this it fired right up.

After riding it around for a minute I brought it back to the shop and adjusted the idle because it was VERY high. The adjuster wasn't doing anything on the carb so we checked the adjuster on the throttle lever. Sure enough, it was out of whack. Got that adjusted and it purred like a kitten. Then I put air in the tires, and tried it get the rear brake working. It was froze, but with some Blaster, it freed up. Although it still doesn't have any brakes... Need to fix that...

Gonna fix the brakes, and need to button up the recoil starter a bit. Then I'll fiddle with making it look good.

So far I've put about $1.50 into it.

Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Re: Honda ATC 200S Freshening Up

Great score man! Those things are a blast.

Looks like the last owners parked it right after replacing the tires too. If they're not cracked up, they will last you forever!
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Awesome! I love getting broken stuff for free and fixing it for a tiny amount. Much better than dropping several hundred or thousand on a new one.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    Great score man! Those things are a blast.

Looks like the last owners parked it right after replacing the tires too. If they're not cracked up, they will last you forever!
    No cracks, no rot. Hold air too. From what I understand it was pretty much that. She has just been sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Awesome! I love getting broken stuff for free and fixing it for a tiny amount. Much better than dropping several hundred or thousand on a new one.
    Yep. I pretty much plan to pick up the pull cable linked below, a spark plug, and a bit of paint and I'm done... If I run into the right deal I may pick up a new fender to replaced the cracked one on mine. Or maybe I'll Mad Max it with some screws and straps.

Never used a steel cord before. I'm hoping the lack of "give" doesn't kill my hands.
    http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...mmyId=#fitment

After posting this I went out to try and take a spin. Road around for a bit then pulled it in front of the shop. Went to find the tire gauge and I heard it cut off. Went to start it back up and broke my temp cord. Then I noticed the breather tube was leaking gas. Float got stuck... I went out later and fixed the cord, and knocked the carb with a screw driver and it fixed the problem. Just have to run it and clear out the old gas.

Oh- And after I was sitting and looking at it for a while I noticed what it was that was bugging me. It is the gas tank. Haha, not factory...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Lol, nope, that looks like it was pulled off a streetbike.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I was thinking a '80's Yamaha. It has that flat cap like I see on them. None of the old Honda bikes I've seen, or have owned had a tank like that.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I grew up riding one of those +rep

My grandparents had 4 of these things as i was growing up; a 70cc, 125cc, and a pair of 250's.

I've got the 70cc now, and my dad and I are going to clean it up and get it ready for the kids to ride when they are a bit older. (My oldest is 3, still a bit young for that.)

Congrats on the project, I wish I could find a free one for me! The first thing I thought when I saw that was that the tank was wrong..

I'd sure like to find myself one of the big old racers that they made just before killing the ATC's.. I think it was a 350cc, maybe a 300cc. I've seen a few around, they look great, and I know it would outrun most of the quads around here too.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

wheeeeeee 3 wheel suicide machine lol nice find..... now put a computer in it! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

couldnt help but laugh at that /\
    "it only takes one voice to start a revolution"