Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To slice and dice my GPU, or not....?

Fresh Paint

Default To slice and dice my GPU, or not....?

I have built a new HTCP, and the case (Silverstone LC17) allows for two 92mm fans up front to cool the Hard drives...which is all well and good....but this pushes back the HHDs so much that they touch my 4670 isilence graphics card. Specifically, the giant heatsink.

So, my question is:

On this card ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161266 ) I am considering cutting off (with a dremel?) about an inch of the fins to make room for the HHDs. I am wondering what unforeseen ill-effects this may have. I would assume the heat dissipation would suffer....but just how much? Enough to damage the card under load? The card is passive, fanless, but there is decent airflow in the case.

Is this a mod worth considering, or is it bat-**** crazy?

Here is a side-on view of the card.

What I am looking to do is shave the blue fins completely off the right side, straight down even with the edge of the card itself.

Any takers?

Default Re: To slice and dice my GPU, or not....?

i dont think itll be an issue. if you are really worried maybe put a low speed slim fan on it too.
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

So, for clarification, you want to cut off the fans sticking off the back? It took me writing a long post about how cutting off all the heatsink blades was a horrible idea, and how on earth do they run into the HDDs, before I realized that's probably what you meant. ..of course, I'm not running on much sleep right now, so that may have something to do with it...

So, basically what you're wanting to end up with is this?:

If that's right, it should be ok. Just make sure you monitor the temps for a while to make sure it's not overheating. You also might want to look into underclocking the card a little if it has problems with those fins cut off.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I second the idea of low-profile fans instead of cutting the heat sink fins. Not sure how much space you need to keep them from touching, but these are only 12mm thick and they work well.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    So, basically what you're wanting to end up with is this?:
    Yes, exactly that...thank you for the photoshop that I was too lazy to do myself!

Although now that those slim scythe fans have been pointed out, I might try going with those. I MAY be able to squeeze those in front of the HHDs without having to mutilate to GPU, though I would then have to drill new holes in the HDD bays to take advantage of the slim fans. The brackets that house the HDDS only have have screw holes for two different spacing.

If anyone is still interested in what I am talking about, a good review of the Silverstone LC17 is here, and at the bottom of the page you can see what I am working with.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    i dont think itll be an issue. if you are really worried maybe put a low speed slim fan on it too.
    This will work if you still decide to chop it up. Cooling performance will suffer a bit due to less surface area contact with the air. However, if you force more air to contact a smaller surface area, the same effect will be achieved. Get the quietest fan you can find and point it at the passive heatsink.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    This will work if you still decide to chop it up. Cooling performance will suffer a bit due to less surface area contact with the air. However, if you force more air to contact a smaller surface area, the same effect will be achieved. Get the quietest fan you can find and point it at the passive heatsink.
    /\ This.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
    Although now that those slim scythe fans have been pointed out, I might try going with those. I MAY be able to squeeze those in front of the HHDs without having to mutilate to GPU, though I would then have to drill new holes in the HDD bays to take advantage of the slim fans. The brackets that house the HDDS only have have screw holes for two different spacing.
    Well if you are willing to cut into you GPU heatsink I don't see any reason to fret over modifying the case or HD cage.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Fresh Paint

Well here's a curious thought....what if I took the portion(s) that I shave off, and soldered them to another location on the heatsink? Hmm, or would the solder melt and/or not conduct the heat appropriately? If so, what would be the best way to attach it?

Or could you take a different heatsink, say from a different card or CPU cooler, and jimmy-rig it on the current one to form your own custom super-passive heatsink? Anyone ever seen that done?

I know it would be simpler and more sensible to simply slap a nice little fan on, but just...theoretically....

Quote Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
    Well here's a curious thought....what if I took the portion(s) that I shave off, and soldered them to another location on the heatsink? Hmm, or would the solder melt and/or not conduct the heat appropriately? If so, what would be the best way to attach it?

Or could you take a different heatsink, say from a different card or CPU cooler, and jimmy-rig it on the current one to form your own custom super-passive heatsink? Anyone ever seen that done?

I know it would be simpler and more sensible to simply slap a nice little fan on, but just...theoretically....
    In theory, yes, you could do that. In theory. Just in theory.
    To get any benefit out of doing that, you'd have to solder them back onto one of the heatpipes...which would be difficult as they already have fins soldered to them in an optimal spacing. You might also look into the thermal conductivity of the solder you're using. And after all that, the gains would be minimal.
    It's too great of a PITA to justify action beyond hypothetical thinking.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.