Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Card for under $200

Overclocked

Default Best Card for under $200

I need a video card for under $200. What card would be the best? Note: My water block only fits GeForce4, GeForce FX and Radeon video cards.
    Thanks!

Hi Rachel ,
    First, welcome to the forums. Second for $200 you can get a very decent card, however it will get you a newer card than the one your waterblock fits. You can get a 6600GT for between $150-$200 and just get an updated waterblock later. That would be a wiser choice than spending cash on an older card to fit your current block. What block do you currently have?

PS There are a few 6200s that you can unlock the pipes on and basically convert them to 6600GT status, those only run about $100 or so.

Overclocked

AGP or PCI-E?
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Overclocked

It's a Innovatek Graph-O-Matic Rev. 2 waterblock. I was looking for AGP. I get the card for free from my school to use in my project. I get to keep the card, they keep the water blocks.

The SlackMeister

get 6600GT, a great bang for the buck

Overclocked

But is that GeForce4 or GeForce FX?

The SlackMeister

its GeForce 6 as far as i know.....

No it is not ... and I am not sure that block would work on a 6600 .. The big thing is, why would you get an outdated card due to the waterblock. The block is cheap compared to the card. I understand that this is a school project that you need it for so maybe you could get a current card and if the block doesnt work get a new block ?

The FX are all the FX5xxx chipsets. The FX5900 XTs go for about $180 If you can find one instock .. The FX5700Ultra run about the same and have the same stock issues. I am not 100% sure since I dont have never really looked at either card, but the FX5700 Ultra has better specs (if I remember correctly).

Rachel, take a picture of the card, bare I'd like to take a look at the mounting holes, also tell me the measurements of said holes. Im sure the block you have isnt specific to GF4 and FX cards.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    Im sure the block you have isnt specific to GF4 and FX cards.
    The v3 of that block is out now.. When the v2 was made, i doubt that the newer chipsets where out. Not sure if the mounting holes changed with the 6xxx series chipsets. Someone around here must know this! I dont watercool, so I dont pay much attention to this type of thing