Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My double Edged sword decision

Default My double Edged sword decision

Wow, I'm gonna get alot 'o crap for saying this but...I'm getting an iPad. Now, the decision is already made so don't try and sway me. The iPad is a very nice slate computer that is missing tons of features. I was waiting for a competing slate, but it doesn't appear one is coming for sometime.

I need help with deciding which one to get. I was either thinking the 32GB Wifi+3G or the 64GB wifi. What do you guys thing?
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Default Re: My double Edged sword decision

I thing you're mad! There are competing slates (sure they're chinese knock offs) but that's fine!

But if you're ABSOLUTELY set, ask your self this, do you really need 3G? If so, why do you need 3G? Is there a reason why you'd consider double the storage without it? What are you using this tablet for? Will an african or european swallow carry an iPad?
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Not saying this as criticism or anything but what are you gonna use it for?
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I understand your decision, but would've picked the Archos Tablet instead
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    What are you using this tablet for?
    /\ This. What are you planning on using it for? How often are you in a situation where you'll want to use it, but don't have access to WiFi? Do you want to pay for the 3G plan? Is that worth it to you for however often you'll be using it where you don't have access to WiFi?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

<hateshield> I say go with the 32 + 3g. You dont need to activate it right away, but you'll have it when you find a need for it and a data plan that is a good value.

I'm considering the 16gb+wifi, just because I'd be able to wifi tether to my cellphone, which has an unlimited data plan. The 16gb of storage is plenty for what I'd need, mostly books and some audio. As long as I can get Orb to work on it, I'm set.

I *really* wanted to hate the ipad, but after using one, I'm in love. It does all that I need in a device like that, except flash, but there's ways around that too. </hateshield>

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I thing you're mad! There are competing slates (sure they're chinese knock offs) but that's fine!

But if you're ABSOLUTELY set, ask your self this, do you really need 3G? If so, why do you need 3G? Is there a reason why you'd consider double the storage without it? What are you using this tablet for? Will an african or european swallow carry an iPad?
    There is no tablet put together nice enough, I have seen a ton of tablets in real life. This thing is just slick. I need 3G to be able to respond to e-mail, and messages on the go; I wouldn't need 3G for anything else, but due to the recent spike in clients I feel that I need to be able to answer on the go. I'd double the storage just for media that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamon View Post
    Not saying this as criticism or anything but what are you gonna use it for?
    Media, whatching movies. As a game developer, I must also have it. There are 2 million users and growing of the iPad. There have been over a billion app sales. The Apple iPhoneSDK4 is simply a goldmind of app users.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I understand your decision, but would've picked the Archos Tablet instead
    I'm not impressed at ALL with the archos series. It's slugish and isn't great. I find that the operating system of a device has to be built around the device itself. All of these tablets are just Android based, and aren't my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    /\ This. What are you planning on using it for? How often are you in a situation where you'll want to use it, but don't have access to WiFi? Do you want to pay for the 3G plan? Is that worth it to you for however often you'll be using it where you don't have access to WiFi?
    I'm going to be in plenty of situations where I'll need it and wifi isn't available. In 3 years, I won't be saying this because pretty much everywhere will have internet access. I'm on the go alot, and having access to e-mail is almost a must. My job is vacation, and vacation is my job. I can't say I really work, just answer e-mail now. All the engineering work and hardwork is done unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    <hateshield> I say go with the 32 + 3g. You dont need to activate it right away, but you'll have it when you find a need for it and a data plan that is a good value.

I'm considering the 16gb+wifi, just because I'd be able to wifi tether to my cellphone, which has an unlimited data plan. The 16gb of storage is plenty for what I'd need, mostly books and some audio. As long as I can get Orb to work on it, I'm set.

I *really* wanted to hate the ipad, but after using one, I'm in love. It does all that I need in a device like that, except flash, but there's ways around that too. </hateshield>
    I am the exact same way, I wanted every reason for hating this thing. But holding it in my hands, I just couldn't it was pretty good. The data plan is awesome I love the idea behind it. Use it when you want to, and cancel when you don't, and add onto when you can.
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Well, it sounds like you really need the 3G, so I would go with that one. If the 32GB of storage becomes a limitation, worry about it then; if not, don't worry about it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Will an african or european swallow carry an iPad?
    Look, it's a simple matter of weight ratios, a 5 ounce bird cannot carry a 1.5 lb Ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    Look, it's a simple matter of weight ratios, a 5 ounce bird cannot carry a 1.5 lb Ipad.
    Lol.
    --Benjamin Franklin