Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Alienware M11x - 11.6" Gaming laptop

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Review: Alienware M11x - 11.6" Gaming laptop

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=519]Review: Alienware M11x - 11.6" Gaming laptop[/drupal]

Today's review features the new Alienware M11x Gaming laptop, which was featured at CES 2010. The M11x is available at Alienware starting at $799...more...
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 07-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Review: Alienware M11x - 11.6" Gaming laptop

Good review for a pretty interesting laptop. If it weren't shrouded in that hideous Alienware...ness (imo hideous case, glossy screen, etc), I would say a great laptop.

The slowness you mention, I would bet money is a direct result of that HDD. TBH, a 5400RPM drive in a gaming laptop is more than a little missing the point. If you look at Alienware's configuration page, the only 5400RPM drive they even offer is the cheapest base configuration (which also starts at 2GB of RAM). Throw in a good 7200RPM HDD or even better, that new hybrid drive from Seagate, and you'll get a way faster experience.

For the DVD drive, there are definitely workarounds available, and with a small, mobile laptop like this I would think they would be preferable even if there was an internal ODD. Either CD/DVD emulation software or no-disc patches should work with the vast majority of games. Or you could use Steam for everything like I do..

Another point of interest is that you can now get the M11x with an i5 520UM ($150 more) or an i7 640UM ($300 more), an option that I don't think was available yet when you ordered yours.

Overall looks like a great little laptop though. 3 hours of battery life in heavy gaming is just amazing! Like I said earlier, if it weren't for the looks and the glossy screen, this would be a very tempting laptop if I were in the market.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Good honest review, it still amazes me that so many screens and monitors are so reflective, why do they still make them like that, so much for consumer testing.

I assume the Window 7 OS is x64 as you have increased the RAM?

RAM is such a buzz word these days and many PC's especially laptops are advertised with loads of RAM but are running windows x32 operating systems which can only use a max of 4GB.

For such a high end gaming laptop I can't get my head around that there is no DVD drive, this is such a big omission but I guess the integrated battery must take up a lot of space and not leave enough room for a drive but for the price they could have provided a USB drive for installations.

Seems odd that it takes a while to do simple tasks, it's not got some kind of auto mode for the processor has it, my Asus mobo has an AI program with it that you use for overclocking, power saving, setting fan speeds etc, but if it's left in auto mode it's useless as it adjusts the system performance by CPU loading but it can make even simple tasks slow, I'm sure you would have found such settings but it's just an idea.

I checked the SU7300 spec and it has the "Enhanced Intel® Speedstep Technology" which switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load, sounds a bit like the auto mode on the Asus program, maybe that's causing the slow down you can turn the speedstep off if it's on to see if it runs faster.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8130827AA18AEG

The battery life is impressive when gaming that's the price you pay for no DVD drive i suppose, hell my old laptop will barely last an hour just surfing the net!

I also own a R1 M11x. For the most part, I love it. I have had it a couple months now.

I don't have the issue you are having with the Alienware control center. I hit the button and mine is fully functional in under 3 seconds.

I haven't noticed the slowness you describe either. Everything runs quick and snappy for me. I run always at 1.7Ghz though, but even at 1.3 everything was responsive. My 3Ghz Q6600 gets ~30GFlops using IBT, and this cpu gets ~10GFlops. So a bit slower, but by no means feels slow, at least to me.

It is a fingerprint/oil magnet. I was looking at the anti-glare film they have for it before it was sold out. I have heard good things about it.

Major Problem: The keyboard rubs against the screen's glass and leaves marks in it. The hinge is too low on the back, so the lower part of the screen rubs while the top is a few mm's away from closing. I will keep an eye on it as it goes on, but seems to be a common problem and one that wasn't fixed in Rev2.

I don't miss the DVD drive one bit. Daemon tools lite keeps me just dandy. Any games not on steam I just use the no-CD for. I don't have an external either. If I really need one I just use the networked DVD from my server.

Lack of a Gigabit ethernet port is a bit of a downer, but dealable I suppose.

TF2 performance is lacking. Idk what it is but the ping on this rig fluctuates from 40 to 500 sometimes on wireless, even though FPS is fine. Just unplayable. Every other game is fine. Wired it's fine. So not sure there.

Aside from that it is great. I knew the sacrifice in performance I was making when I chose this over the Asus G73 i7/5870m I was debating. But the size and convenience FAR outweigh the performance loss for me.

Nightrain, what HDD do you have in yours?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I have the standard 250GB hdd mine came with. It's a Hitachi HTS7250...

I have been looking at the new Seagate 500GB Hybrid Drive to replace it though.

Aha, I thought as much. That extra 180RPM really does make a huge difference.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    My 3Ghz Q6600 gets ~30GFlops using IBT, and this cpu gets ~10GFlops. So a bit slower, but by no means feels slow, at least to me.
    I wish it had a Q6600!

My hard drive is only 5400rpm, because I could not find a 750GB drive that was faster. I figure the specs on paper are pretty damn good and still will be in a couple of years when I sell it to upgrade.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

That is still strange that the 5400RPM drive would have such a performance deficit. The 750GB is a newish drive so you'd think it would still be relatively speedy.

This little SU7300 isn't too shabby though. It far outpaces the 1.8GHz dual core in our Dell D620, and the 2Ghz dual core in my Macbook. At least overall system responsiveness and such feels faster, haven't empirically tested them against each other.

You can feel it in very cpu limited tasks though, but I don't often use any of those tbh. It is funny playing tf2 or bc2 though, as the FPS on low is almost identical to FPS on medium high/high, highlighting the cpu as the bottleneck. But, shrug, as a portable I'm very impressed.

If only the cpu wasn't soldered on, or I'd go out of my way to trade/sell some of my crap to get my hands on one of the new i7's. As it is, I'm not going to go trying to sell the R1 just to spend $1200 on an i7 version. At that price might have as well said screw portability and gotten the G73.

TGS, as for your dilemma with the power brick, most all (if not all) of the newer Dell/Alienware use the same power brick/plug. I've been using our D620's brick as its the same specs, just 65W instead of the 45W brick that comes with the M11x. It doesn't get quite so hot.

The hottest I've seen the M11's brick get is when it is trying to charge the battery up while playing games. If you can avoid doing that, the brick shouldn't draw anywhere near as much power, and shouldn't get as hot.