Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review: Alienware M11x - 11.6" Gaming laptop

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Review: Alienware M11x - 11.6" Gaming laptop

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Aha, I thought as much. That extra 180RPM really does make a huge difference.
    I have not found that to be the case for me. I have a Dell Studio 15" with 3GB of RAM, 320GB 5400rpm HDD, 2.4GHZ P8600 and 512MB ATI Radeon graphics card running windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and it can do even the most basic tasks lightning quick. Opens firefox in under 1 second, Word in less. To top it all off I only have 20GB HDD space left so even with my HDD nearly maxed out it is still snappy. I have tried a 7200rpm drive in my laptop and really didn't notice anything more then a slight degradation in battery life. I think your main issue sadly is the i3 processor, for gaming or even laptop use in general I personally wouldn't go under i5 unless I was looking at a netbook.

A 7200rpm drive may make a difference but I don't think it would be significantly more then then the 5400rpm drive. The Seagate Momentus (hybrid drive) would certainly speed things up, being faster than the WD Raptors and all.

It looks like a pretty good laptop though. I like the hybrid graphics feature and the fact that you can customize the keyboard colours, I actually had a play with one of these the other day, sadly the Australian price is $1,600 (costing $400 then my dell did 12 months ago). It's a real shame that it doesn't come with an optical drive.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Here's a link to Dell's Antiglare film for the M11x. I hear it is supposed to work pretty well.

I haven't missed an optical drive yet, though I can see why others would want one. Inside there really isn't any room for one, mostly because the battery takes up about 1/3 of the available space in it. Between a networked dvd and virtual drives I'm pretty covered. That would a lot of people's needs I would think, unless they needed one on the go. But all I ever use it for is installs.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

That's why I built a cooler with one built-in

WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

That works. Mine's on my networked server so I just plop the disk into that computer and it pops up in the M11's My Computer as if it was local.